Author Topic: OT: Osmo Vanska's Beethoven cycle  (Read 9332 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: OT: Osmo Vanska's Beethoven cycle
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 05:47:43 PM »
According to D.H., the #4/8 disc is easily the best from Haitink's new cycle. For me, the sound of the LSO is completely wrong for the core Austro/German lit. They're too brightly lit - with average woodwinds, most of the time - and not enough heft and drive from double basses and celli. In fact, for me, the only London orchestra that can muster a more "central European" sound is - sometimes - the LPO. They probably have the best woodwinds among the London orchestras as well. Maybe the make over of Royal Festival Hall will help in the future. With the loss of Kingsway Hall, there really isn't one excellent recording venue for large orchestras in all of London. I'm also not impressed with John Mallinson engineered recordings - they're greatly overrated in my book.

Barry
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 05:49:56 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 01:17:07 AM »
I have Dausgaard's Seventh, which I found secondhand this summer, and it is excellent. I ordered his Eroica from Arkiv, but after a month they canceled. I've now ordered it from mdt in England.

Last week the LSO was here in Chicago, and Colin Davis conducted the Eroica. Other than those first two chords being mangled, it was a very good performance. The orchestra sounded fine, except for an unappealing solo oboe, but it was nowhere near as bad as on some recordings from the 1960s. Like Haitink, Davis does not divide his violins. My seat was in front and to the left; low strings sounded soggy, but that's Orchestra Hall.

As inexpensive sets go, I like Blomstedt/Dresden on Brilliant. The performances are conventional, but tempos are often on the brisk side, the sound is good, and the orchestra plays with a marvelous sense of unanimity. Think of it as a mainstream set with a subtle influence from the authenticity movement. For 20 bucks or so, it's a standout.

Less impressive is another Brilliant set with Sawallisch and the Concertgebouw. Both the conducting and the sound are variable. The first movement of the Eroica is almost perversely mellow, but the funeral march is quite well done. The Fourth is an excellent performance and recording. I couldn't recommend this set, especially since Blomstedt is available for about the same price, but it does have its virtues, such as the Concertgebouw oboist. (However, for a magnificently reedy CO oboist, go back a couple decades to Pierre Monteux.)

Offline akiralx

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 04:07:19 PM »
I listened to Wand B2 & B4. Both works are played and recorded extremely well. Wand's approach is indeed driven, impulsive at times but the playing is so disciplined that I took everything for granted. Very interesting and stimulating readings. I look for Wand's B3, B5, and B9.

John,

I have a live B1 and B2 RCA CD from NDRSO/Wand that is excellent, not the ones from his earlier cycle.

For the Eroica I do really like VPO/Abbado.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk