Author Topic: M10 live (Carpenter) with Litton  (Read 4749 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
M10 live (Carpenter) with Litton
« on: October 17, 2007, 05:29:39 PM »
I found this on the web...since any performance of the Carpenter is rather rare...I thought I'd share the link...

Symphony No.10 (vs.Carpenter)

Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra
Andrew Litton
8.I.2001
Grieg Hall, Bergen, Noruega

http://rapidshare.com/files/61766545/Mahler_10__Litton_.zip.001
http://rapidshare.com/files/61976433/Mahler_10__Litton_.zip.002

Appears you may need the HJsplit software to open.

--Leo
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 05:32:42 PM by Leo K »

Offline barry guerrero

Re: M10 live (Carpenter) with Litton
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 07:32:46 PM »
Maybe the Carpenter version might start making some headway in Europe. I'd really like to see a decent recording come out on the Samale/Mazzuca version.

Barry

Offline Amphissa

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 11:17:38 PM »
It will be interesting to compare this to his recording with the performance recorded with the Dallas SO, which was also the Carpenter version. Have you compared them yet?
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 12:53:42 AM »
Not yet...but I hope to this weekend  :)

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 02:39:19 AM »
The Litton/DSO/Delos M19th CD is, to me, one of the greatest Mahler recordings ever. Regardless of the version, it is gorgeously interpreted, played, and recorded M10th. It almost makes me to think that no matter what version we listen to it is Mahler's music and all that accounts is genuine music making.

John,

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 03:10:57 PM »
It will be interesting to compare this to his recording with the performance recorded with the Dallas SO, which was also the Carpenter version. Have you compared them yet?

I generally only listen to these radio rips on my computer speakers in the office.  As such, I can't say that I really "listened" to all of this performance.  I did notice, however, that the end of the second movement is a little different than on the Dallas recording -- there is no double cymbal crash in the Bergen performance like on the Dallas one (in fact, no cymbal crash at all).  I also noticed that the bass drum strokes during the final movement seem a little louder than on the commercial recording.  Also, Litton has one drum stroke at the end of the fourth movement and another one to begin the fifth movement.  I can't remember if he cuts that back to a single drum stroke in the commercial recording.

I am another big fan of the Litton's commercial recording of the Carpenter M10.  I consider it one of my very favorite recordings in my entire collection. 
Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk