Author Topic: Rattle/EMI Mahler box definitely remastered - NOT!!!  (Read 9219 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Rattle/EMI Mahler box definitely remastered - NOT!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 05:34:46 PM »
John, I think that there might be different recording venues involved as well. At the very least, M3 and M8 use the new symphony hall in Birmingham. I really like Rattle's M6 and M7 more than I did before, just because of the difference in sound. I'll check out the Vienna M9 tonight, and see if that stikes me as sounding different now.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 06:18:33 PM »
Rattle's M2 and M6 both were recorded at Watford Town Hall, three years apart. Yet, I much prefer the sound in the 2nd. Yes, please check the Vienna M9th.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 06:37:51 AM »
John,

I took some time tonight to listen to Rattle's M9/1 (first movement) on headphones. Yes, the sound is a bit different. But it's not enough of an improvement to make me like this performance more. In fact, I thought it highlighted its shortcomings even more. The climactic passages had a bit more bite and definition in the lower range, but the softer parts seemed almost inaudible. Strangely enough, it reminded me a bit of the old Abbado/VPO M3 - particulary with the horns always blasting so loud.

I've always had my suspicions that the Abbado/VPO M3 used generous chunks from live takes - possibly of Austrian Radio origin. The American tuba player in the VPO - now deceased - told me that there were a lot of problems in making that particular recording; with Abbado going over many passages in separate takes. Anyway, the extreme dynamics; loud horns; thuddy timpani (more pronounced now); loud tuba (less pronounced now) - all of that reminded me of the Abbado/VPO M3, as well as some of the Maazel/VPO Mahler cycle too. For the life of me, I can't understand why Rattle felt that this was such a great performance. I'd rather hear the 9th played by the BPO anyday. And I'm sure that Rattle's conducting of it has improved in the meantime as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk