Author Topic: Organ transcription of M 5  (Read 3904 times)

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
Organ transcription of M 5
« on: October 30, 2007, 10:12:46 PM »
Has anyone here heard David Briggs's organ transcription of M 5? ???

It is listed on Amazon.com with minimal information: Priory Records UK.

. & '

Offline James Meckley

Re: Organ transcription of M 5
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 08:07:44 PM »
Yes, I've heard it. My copy is filed, along with an organ transcription of Bruckner 8, in a stack of discs that I will probably never listen to again. It's been quite a while since I first heard it, but the words "thick", "heavy", "bizarre" and "pointless" still come to mind. Curiosity value only, IMO.

James Meckley
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Jot N. Tittle

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 10:51:53 PM »
Thanks, James. That is just about what I had expected, a curiosity. I would probably add "wheezy" to your description—without even having heard the performance!

Briggs is performing his organ transcription of M 6 this Sunday (Nov. 4) at the Church of St. Ignatius Loyola (Park Avenue and 84th) in New York City, I am informed. Imagine. A trip not to take.  ::)

. & '

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 06:46:55 AM »
Actually, if I had to pick one Mahler symphony that might - MIGHT - possibly work in an organ transcription, I'd pick the 6th. The reason being is that there are so many big block chords, particulary in the two outer movements. It's the one Mahler symphony that comes closest to Bruckner in that one, single regard. The 5th symphony is too contrapuntal in the 2nd, 3rd and 5th movements, while the slow funeral procession in the first movement is almost too diaphanous. Oddly enough, it's the adagietto that I wouldn't mind hearing on an organ. All those melodic and harmonic suspensions would play right into the strengths of an organ.

Offline Jot N. Tittle

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 07:26:35 PM »
. . . there are so many big block chords, particularly in the two outer movements. . . .  it's the adagietto that I wouldn't mind hearing on an organ. All those melodic and harmonic suspensions would play right into the strengths of an organ.

I hadn't thought of that, Barry. Very interesting.

Do we have any BMs (Board Members, not bowel movements) who will attend this performance?

. & '

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk