Author Topic: found my copy of Gartenberg!! (Mahler bio.)  (Read 4573 times)

Offline barry guerrero

found my copy of Gartenberg!! (Mahler bio.)
« on: November 03, 2008, 04:37:26 AM »
hey, I found my Gartenberg. It had fallen behind a piece of furniture in the living room. I have no idea how it even got out there. Anyway, it's a great Mahler biography. You can pretty much turn to ANY page, and find something interesting to read over again. I was afraid that I had given it away or something. FYI.

Barry

Offline sbugala

Re: found my copy of Gartenberg!! (Mahler bio.)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 04:49:22 AM »
Glad you found it, Barry.  I've always liked that one a lot. I'm hoping to find it a book fair someday.  If I recall, there's a great section on Bruckner in that book, too. 

Offline brunumb

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:38:20 AM »
Hi sbugala,
Amazon has heaps of copies of this book from resellers, starting at little more than $1.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 06:05:34 AM »
"If I recall, there's a great section on Bruckner in that book, too."

Frankly, it's one of the better chapters I've ever read about Bruckner. However, Gartenberg is highly critical of adding the cymbals; triangle roll, and timpani rolls at the climax of the Adagio in B7 (second movement). I can see leaving out the triangle - which adds very little harm, in my estimation - but it seems ridiculous not to have the cymbals and timpani there. The timpani certainly don't have to play fortissimo at that spot, but I won't keep a B7 that has zero percussion at that climax either.

Barry

Immer Wieder Polka 

Offline sbugala

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 06:11:10 AM »
Hi sbugala,
Amazon has heaps of copies of this book from resellers, starting at little more than $1.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to finally purchase it!

Offline sbugala

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 06:20:26 AM »
"If I recall, there's a great section on Bruckner in that book, too."

Frankly, it's one of the better chapters I've ever read about Bruckner. However, Gartenberg is highly critical of adding the cymbals; triangle roll, and timpani rolls at the climax of the Adagio in B7 (second movement). I can see leaving out the triangle - which adds very little harm, in my estimation - but it seems ridiculous not to have the cymbals and timpani there. The timpani certainly don't have to play fortissimo at that spot, but I won't keep a B7 that has zero percussion at that climax either.

Barry

Immer Wieder Polka 

I think once you've heard the percussion there, it's hard to do it without it.  Masur, in his New York account, came closest to selling it without the cymbal crash for me.  I'm a pretty inconsistent Bruckner scholar, meaning I sometimes favor his first thoughts (like with his "Linz" version of the 1st Symphony); and later thoughts like the 8th Symphony.  But the percussion in the 7th is a no-brainer for me, too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk