Author Topic: Stenz/Gürzenich-Orchester Köln/Oehms Mahler Eighth SACD is released  (Read 5639 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Stenz/Gürzenich-Orchester Köln/Oehms Mahler Eighth SACD is released
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:09:28 PM »
I heard this live performance on Youtube and can attest that it was brilliant from start to finish.

A fast, exciting Mahler Eighth loaded with flexible tempo shifts (especially in the middle section of Part I. and the end of Part II.).

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 08:28:59 PM »
Thanks for mentioning this, John.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqNF9FZk8nY

Very impressive performance. Certainly some of the tempo shifts you mention will be controversial, but there was nothing I found to be illogical; it all seemed a fresh and interesting way of looking at the work, which is never a bad thing. And the tam-tam enthusiasts among us will certainly be pleased.

I did notice that the engineering teams from Oehms (in the SA-CD excerpts) and the WDR (in the YouTube video) managed to produce quite different balances—especially with regard to the organ—from what I assume was the same set of concerts.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 11:07:55 PM »
I'm happy to see that this is on one disc. I'll get it.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 06:20:18 AM »
Barry,

The total timing is about 77 min.

P.S. You should be happy that Giants made to the WS again in two years.

But I am afraid Tigers will have the edge this time. They are just too strong both offensively and defensively.

Offline waderice

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 10:50:17 AM »

P.S. You should be happy that Giants made to the WS again in two years.

But I am afraid Tigers will have the edge this time. They are just too strong both offensively and defensively.

Being a native of the DC area, I'm not happy.  It had been 79 years since ANY Washington, DC baseball team had been in the postseason.  DC fans deserve to have the experience of a WS winner after that long a time, plus considering the fact that they went without a baseball team for 34 years!

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 12:31:07 AM »
I'm obviously very pleased with how the Giants are doing. I actually like this year's team much, MUCH more than the 2010 team (who I found very difficult to watch). But I also like the Tiger's quite a bit too, so I consider it a win/win either way. But at this point, it looks like the Giants should take it. If so, I will attend this year's 'victory parade' along Market St.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk