Author Topic: Britten/LSO/BBC M4...fantastic.  (Read 5013 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Britten/LSO/BBC M4...fantastic.
« on: May 30, 2007, 12:58:38 AM »

I just found this disk at a used store, and thought this might be nice to hear, since I like historical recordings and this would be a good break from all the Mahler 6th's and 9th's I've been binging on.

This is recording is radiantly recorded (at the Aldeburgh Festival, 1961) and the LSO play beautifully.  The first movement is fast and airy (the church it was recorded in gives the sound some pleasant reverb) as if wind were blowing through the cracks between the boards of a barn...the clarity here is such a joy.  The solo violin in the scherzo is pretty creepy, but the lightness of the trios reveals the "devil" to be the shadow of a mouse.  I don't think I could ask for a better 3rd movement, since Britten is a great navigator through the strange form this movement moves in...the tenson never lags behind, the horizon on the plain is always in view.  The soprano is actually boyish and young sounding too.

Not bad for just 8 bucks.

--Leo

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Britten/LSO/BBC M4...fantastic.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 08:11:09 AM »
As I prefer quicker performances of the fourth, I think it's "not bad" at almost any price. I really feel that Britten knew what he was doing.

Barry

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 04:26:04 PM »
BRAVO! It became my favorite M4 at first hearing. Then, at first seeing, I fell in love with Edith Mathis on the Bernstein DVD M4.

. & '

Offline nickmolland

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 06:26:27 PM »
Thanks Leo! I was inspired by your post to look for a used copy on Amazon UK, and one is one its way for a mere £5. I keep promising myself a break from new cds, but....

Nick

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 09:46:28 PM »
Thanks Leo! I was inspired by your post to look for a used copy on Amazon UK, and one is one its way for a mere £5. I keep promising myself a break from new cds, but....

Nick

I'm confident you will really like this M4, I hope to hear what you think of it.

I happen to be adding alot to my collection too ;D

--Leo

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 07:57:37 AM »
I've been listening to this again tonight, and it is such a radiant performance of the M4...it sends me very far away while I'm here at work...all of sudden, I have forgotten everything around me in the waking state. 

Particularly love the horn in the scherzo...great round tone and full of spring.

:)

--Todd

Offline brunumb

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 09:02:38 AM »
Thanks for the reminder Leo.
I bought this when it was first released and haven't listened to it since then.  Now to find it  ???

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 11:37:12 AM »
Thanks for the reminder Leo.
I bought this when it was first released and haven't listened to it since then.  Now to find it  ???

I hope you can find it!  This is a great performance!  Best of luck!

--Todd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk