Author Topic: Tabakov Mahler cycle  (Read 5166 times)

Offline Don

Tabakov Mahler cycle
« on: December 03, 2008, 03:52:19 AM »
When one gets a subscription to the Kansas City Symphony concert season, you also are given access to the wonderful Naxos Music Library service. And boy do I take advantage of it. ;D ;)

I noted on their "Recent Additions" list is a Mahler Symphony cycle with Emil Tabakov and the Sofia Philharmonic on the Naxos distributed Capriccio label. Worth listening to?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 02:16:04 PM by Don »
M10 Fanatic!

Offline John Kim

Re: Tabakov Mahler cycle
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 04:20:57 PM »
I have the set. For the money, it's definitely worth owning.

I have not yet listened to every disc in the box set, but can attest that the M6 and M9th are first rate. I really like this Mahler Sixth which is fast, thrilling, well played and recorded. It is actually among the best I've ever heard. The Ninth, OTOH, is quite slow but never dragging. Although it is slow, Tabakov integrates fast and slow parts really well; clocking at over 32 min. the first movt. is particularly fascinating in this regard. Timpani and other percussions are very powerful.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 07:12:12 AM »
The sound isn't great, and the two "choral" symphonies - M2 and M8 - are pretty much duds. But M3, M5, M6, M7, and M9 are all really well conducted. They're definitely worth a listen.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 11:29:15 AM »
Hmmmm...this set has caught my interest...might be worth a try since it's not too costly.

--Todd

Offline Don

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 12:36:31 PM »
I think I have some listen time tonight so I am going to explore this set. I'll let you know what I think. Might start with M6 since that one seems to have been mentioned as quite good.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 04:24:43 PM »
Just be sure not to spend tons of money, as sound quality is a real drawback of this set. The playing isn't the best either. But at least it's spirited and, at times, well guided.

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 06:37:47 PM »
For the money, it's definitely worth owning.

I assume that you mean it's worth the extra money he's paying for it, which is ?? $0.00??    ;)

I have a CD-R version of this cycle.  I was turned off by the first few recordings to which I listened (I know that I tried M8 -- and detested it).  There may be something worth listening to in this cycle, but I doubt I'll ever give another of these recordings a chance. 
Scott

Offline Don

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 02:27:51 AM »
I am listening to M7 now. Had not heard the 7th from anyone in a while so decided to start there.  Definitely not top drawer; a fine orchestra putting in a fine performance, but so far nothing special.

Lousy cowbells in the 1st Nachtmusik >:(
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 02:32:10 AM by Don »
M10 Fanatic!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk