Author Topic: Shostakovich 'Babi Yar': my thoughts (OOT)  (Read 12103 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: Shostakovich 'Babi Yar': my thoughts (OOT)
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 05:14:31 PM »
I like the 15th very much too. An enigmatic but accessible and poignant work at Shosy's best. I certainly love it better than the 14th. I am slowly getting warmed up to the 12th though. For one thing, it is short (40 min) and enjoyable music. The brief 3rd movt. is a masterpiece of great march rhythms and tunes.

John,
Just start your day with the 3rd and 4th movts from Shosy's 12th symphony. It will certainly brighten up your day! :D

John,

Offline Russell

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 06:00:20 PM »
No, I like the 13th OK. It's the 11th and 12th that I truly don't care much for. I'm also not wild about the 14th, but love the 15th instead. To me, the 15th is clearly the best one after the 10th.

I have to say that I really love the 11th, for all its bombast in its graphic depiction of "Bloody Sunday".  Great mood-setting in the first movement, ferocious battle scene in the second, wonderful memorial hymn in the third, and a great rousing finale.  I like the Berglund EMI recording a lot, though I also have a live recording from 2000 with MTT/SFS (yes!) at the Proms in London, which is one of most exciting and heartfelt renditions of this work I've ever heard.

Russell

Offline techniquest

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 10:20:35 PM »
Back to the 13th....I must support the Barshai recording as being truly superb, probably the best in the set (as well as the 9th), and quite easy to get as a single disc. I have a recording with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic under Gerard Schwarz which is pretty decent too.
For No.12, the Olympia disc with Roszhdestvensky conducting the Ministry of Culture Symphony Orchestra is hard to beat, for 11th try the new Naxos recording, or the old Berglund / Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra for real power and horror!

jonyungk

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 07:00:37 AM »
Will second Roszhdestvensky on the 12th as well as an excruciatingly effective 11th. For the 13th I have Masur/NYPO but as good as that is am in the market for something darker.

Jon

Offline John Kim

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 03:47:09 PM »
I finally acquired the Ormandy/PO/RCA, arguably the very first recording of this music in the States. To my surprise, this Babi Yar is quite slow, weighty and overly somber. Sometimes the tempo was so slow that I felt I was lost, especially in the first movt. But there's no denying this is a powerful reading with lots of emphasis on bass lines. Still, IMO no one beats Mark Wigglesworth in bringing out all the drama and inner logic so consistently and convincingly; just listen to the first climax in I. where the whole brass section roars out the aggressive, menacing rhythms in unison (which soon leads to the main climax). Here, most conductors just let the brass starts off out of nowhere diminishing the continuity and flow of the music. But by carefully gauging the temporal and dynamic scalings of the passage against what preceded and will follow, Wigglesworth not only is able to keep the flow intact but also enhance the overall structure and increase the impact of this gigantic and the most important (of the five) movt. of the symphony. It is really an impressive interpretation. As for the sound, it again beats them all, awesome and jaw-dropping (in 5CH SACD).

John,
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 04:31:51 PM by John Kim »

Offline jackwalker

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 07:52:18 PM »
Hello John... I just joined yesterday. Not sure if you will get this even. But reading all the replies you received...not one seems to mention the version that I first discovered in Hobart Tasmania in 1969 on Angel/Melodiya, USA LP. Under Svetlanov. The bass is of course most fine. And the Russian orchestras at that time played like demons. The Haitink comes close.  I have had the LP put onto Cd of course, I have waited in vain for DECADES for it to come onto CD...no luck. It is such a powerful unique work... regards  Jack

Offline stateworkers

• Statework, Free Great Broadcast Recordings
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 09:41:49 PM »
There is also a Saulius Sondeckis led Lithuanian Chamber Orchestra with Estonian vocal forces that calls for inclusion. It has the Kondrashin bite, that unsentimental propulsion with an eye for the human detail. It is a 1990's recording, and a fully fleshed put one at that, sounding just awesome at unreasonable volumes.
It helps that the performers have authenticity on their side as well; the bass, orchestra, everyone in the room has experience as a former Soviet doormat and their memories sound through in the performance (being from former annexations of the USSR).

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/ce/4f/a913c060ada061112ac80210.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 09:48:47 PM by stateworkers »
Statework, Free Great Broadcast Recordings:
http://statework.blogspot.com

Offline mahler09

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 09:26:08 PM »
I have the Mariss Jansons recording with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra and chorus, which I like a lot.  This is one of my favorite Shostakovich Symphonies and, for that matter, was the one of the first pieces by Shostakovich I heard when I was just discovering him.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk