General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Which season for GM anniversery festivals? 2009-10 or 2010-11?

(1/2) > >>

Toblacher:
Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on when the most GM festivals by orchestras might or shoud take place?

The 2009-10 season would cover only his 150th birthday, though being completed before his actual birthday in July. 

The 2010-2011 season would be able to cover both the birthday and the 100th anniversery observance of his death in May.

techniquest:
2010-11 would seem most appropriate. I hope that the anniversaries are top priority for every orchestra worldwide!

barry guerrero:
I'd like to see festivals that include orchestras and conductors from South America, China, and southern Asia - expanding markets for the "Mahler boom". It would be nice to get completely different perspectives - as much as there possibly can be.

Barry

techniquest:
I second that. I have a recording of a live performance of M2 by the Sao Paulo State SO and choirs under John Neschling and it is one of my favourite M2 interpretations. From the othjer side of the world, I have another live recording of the Osaka Philharmonic with the Masashino Chorus, Junko Ioka and Setsuko Takemoto under Takashi Asahina from 1995. From the same year I have the same conductor and orchestra doing M3 with Kazuko Nagai as the soloist. (These are not commercial recordings).
It would be really fascinating to hear Mahler from Chinese orchestras, and also SE Asia such as the Bangkok Symphony Orchestra or the Malaysian Philharmonic (who, fwiw, have quite a few Rimsky Korsakov recordings to their credit).
If you're quick you can whiz across to Singapore and hear their forces perform their M3 premier!!
Lan Shui  conductor
Nancy Maultsby  mezzo-soprano
Ladies of Singapore Symphony Chorus, Singapore Bible College Chorale and Hallelujah Chorus
Singapore Symphony Children’s Choir
Singapore Symphony Orchestra.

barry guerrero:
Just judging from their BIS recording of Villa-Lobos' big, orchestral "Bachianas Brasileiras" works, they're not afraid to bash gongs in that Sau Paulo State S.O. It's little wonder that Brazilians so readily take to Mahler's music, because it shares a very common trait with popular Brazilian music: a constant interchange between major and minor modes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version