General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Noseda/BBC Phil. M10 is outstanding (Chandos)

(1/1)

barry guerrero:
I have a feeling that Dave Hurwitz may disagree with me on this, but I think that the Noseda recording of Cooke III is much, much better than the recent Gielen. Gielen was good in the sections that resembled the Viennese "second school" composers: Berg, Schoenberg, & Webern. Hence, his second scherzo was outstanding, along with the faster development section of the fifth movement. But Noseda is intense and "impassioned" from start to finish. The BBC Phil. play fabulously, and the sound quality is truly first rate. For anyone who pines for the old Wyn Morris M10, this Noseda one could do the trick for you - he's very deliberate and rhythmic in the two scherzos. As an FYI, Noseda does add the badly needed cymbal crash at the end of the first scherzo. However, he does have two separate bass drum strokes between the fourth and fifth movements (Rattle has proven that one is all that's necessary). And by the way, the bass drum sounds like it's played loudly from a good distance - possibly backstage.

Now, all that said, was this recording of Cooke III really necessary? I guess not, but there's always room for one that's this good. But what's truly needed is a top drawer, studio quality recording of the Samale/Mazzuca version. And on that note, I'm hoping that Todd will chime in.

Barry

John Kim:
Barry,

Thanks for the report.

It sounds like a really good Cooke III. recording to own.

John,

Leo K:
Indeed, of all the completions I personally feel the Samale/Mazzuca version to sound the most Mahlerian.  It is definitely my personal favorite over the others.  Based on a pirate recording I have heard, there are a few problematic issues.  However incredibly awesome the first movement climax sounds here, the great climax in the Finale should be even more powerful, and I don't believe Mahler would write in so many over-exaggerated loud "peaks" thoughout the second Scherzo (however I DO a kick out of it).  Still, these sections sound more powerful than any section in the Cooke by miles.  A top drawer recording would probably help these issues (and don't forget every completion will have some problematic issues).

I really look forward to the Sieghart M10 hopefully to come on Exton soon...based on his excellant M6 and DLVdE, his M10, which uses the Samale/Mazzuca version should be top drawer...I hope!

--Todd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version