Author Topic: Should I track down both? - M7  (Read 13344 times)

Offline je-b

Re: Should I track down both? - M7
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 11:58:19 PM »
If you sign on to Melomaniacos you can get the Klemp M7 very cheap (free). A great site for rare recordings:

https://melomaniacos.com/search.php?por=0&buscapor=on&keywords=mahler+7&mod=0&mode=on&crit=0&date_ini=&date_fin=

Thanks a lot! This helped greatly.
This recording is insane... had Celibidache ever touched Mahler, it could impossibly have been any slower than this...  :o
I'm glad I have it now - for reasons I cannot really name. It feels like a fragment from a time period of recorded music long gone now.
"Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
 In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!"

Mackjay

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 10:32:05 AM »
If you sign on to Melomaniacos you can get the Klemp M7 very cheap (free). A great site for rare recordings:

https://melomaniacos.com/search.php?por=0&buscapor=on&keywords=mahler+7&mod=0&mode=on&crit=0&date_ini=&date_fin=

Thanks a lot! This helped greatly.
This recording is insane... had Celibidache ever touched Mahler, it could impossibly have been any slower than this...  :o
I'm glad I have it now - for reasons I cannot really name. It feels like a fragment from a time period of recorded music long gone now.

You're welcome
I know what you mean. It's hard to imagine any conductor today who has the kind of legendary status that would allow a major company to release such an interpretation. And as you probably know, Klemperer was an indirect link back to Mahler himself, so there is  always a certain authority in his conducting this music (despite the famed 'objectivity' which likely would have differed greatly from Mahler's own approach). One thing I always love in Klemperer is the orchestral detail, everything comes through and tells. I still consider his M9 studio recording among the best ever made.

PS: I uploaded a fantastic M6 by Leinsdorf and BSO and and M4 by Sanderling to that site. Check those out.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 05:38:47 PM »
If Mahler is the composer of his own music, how can you get any more "objective" than that? And if you feel that Klemperer is achieving great clarity in his Mahler, then he's very much following the footsteps of Mahler himself, since Mahler placed "clarity" pretty much above all other priorities when it came to dealing with his own orchestrations. All that said, I'm very certain that Klemperer would have conducted the 7th much quicker in his earlier years. In his later years, he was constantly in denial that his tempi were getting slower. But the fact was, he almost couldn't help it. He was a "9 lives" kind of guy. He had many health challenges in the '60s, and had endured great emotional and psychological hardships in previous years.

Barry

Mackjay

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 09:01:35 PM »
If Mahler is the composer of his own music, how can you get any more "objective" than that? And if you feel that Klemperer is achieving great clarity in his Mahler, then he's very much following the footsteps of Mahler himself, since Mahler placed "clarity" pretty much above all other priorities when it came to dealing with his own orchestrations. All that said, I'm very certain that Klemperer would have conducted the 7th much quicker in his earlier years. In his later years, he was constantly in denial that his tempi were getting slower. But the fact was, he almost couldn't help it. He was a "9 lives" kind of guy. He had many health challenges in the '60s, and had endured great emotional and psychological hardships in previous years.

Barry
I don't understand this sentence: "If Mahler is the composer of his own music, how can you get any more "objective" than that? "

Klemperer, in his earlier years, was known for his objectivity, ie lack of "interpretation" (of course, before you jump on it, every conductor must interpret in some way). Klemperer was seen for a time as a member of the school of so-called Neue Sachlichkeit (New Objectivity). Mahler, in contrast, was known for his interpretations--often controversial and described as distortions--of others' music. The later Klemperer could sometimes (in this case certainly) be accused of distorting the composer's intentions. I know about his health problems and yes, he could not help it. I still say it was his legendary status that allowed EMI to record him at this stage--perhaps because they also knew he was still capable of great peformance, the M7 notwithstanding. This performance demonstrates a clarity he perhaps had in common with Mahler, but Mahler would not likely have been accused of objectivity (interpretive coolness) in the same way Klemperer was during the Bauhaus years.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 09:32:48 PM »
Sorry, but I don't understand how (or why) you don't understand.  ???     .    .     .   What you say may (or may not) be true in cases of Mahler conducting other people's music (frankly, how does one measure such things?). But when it comes to Mahler's own music, how can you get any closer to "the source" than when Mahler is conducting it himself? What would NOT be objective about Mahler conducting Mahler?

In regards to other people's music, let's bring up a couple of examples. In the case of the Mendelssohn "Scotch" symphony, Klemperer deletes the entire "Scottish" sounding chorus at the end of the symphony (it's repeated numerous times), and simply ends it with a quiet chord in minor (I forget the key). I happen to really like it since it's the weakest part of the entire symphony, but how "objective" is that?!?

In his EMI recording of the Bruckner 8th, Klemperer makes numerous cuts in the finale that weren't sanctioned by anybody. Again, how "objective" is that!?! (and again, I happen to like it).

Even in Mahler's "Resurrection" symphony, Klemperer takes the entire "March of risen dead souls" passage of the finale at a much slower tempo than normal. There's nothing in Mahler's tempo descriptions to indicate that he wanted that entire passage played relatively slow (and again, I think it works quite well). But if you're talking in terms of "textural clarity"; then yes, I agree that Klemperer was very good at that. But by all reports, so was Mahler!

Further more, when Mahler made adjustments or changes to other people's music, he did so for the sake of "clarity", due to limitations in the instruments themselves during earlier times. Whether he succeeded or not is certainly matter of opinion and debate. But the intent was for the sake clarity and thus, I submit, for the sake of "objectivity". But I would never suggest that Mahler and Klemperer would sound identical as conductors.

Barry
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:42:33 PM by barry guerrero »

Mackjay

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 10:20:25 AM »

But I would never suggest that Mahler and Klemperer would sound identical as conductors.

Nor would I! Especially since I have never heard Mahler conduct.
I will repeat, Klemperer was considered, during the 1930s an objective (dispassionate, detached) conductor, meaning that some felt he did not impose an emotional interpretation on the music. This was of course an opinion, whether you or I would agree with it or not. There are recordings of Klemperer from the era, so we can in fact make some judgment for ourselves--personally, I do find Klemperer's early recordings rather interpretively cool. Both Mahler and Klemperer (later, possibly earlier too) made alterations and unusual choices when they conducted (we only know this about Mahler from historical accounts---) I contend that Mahler--or probably any composer--would not likely be objective when conducting HIS OWN MUSIC...how could he be, if by objective we mean dispassionate and detached. According to accounts, this was not the case. If Klemperer became less detached, and more interventionist (making cuts, etc) that did move him closer to Mahler as a conductor, but it certainly doesn't make them identical, and again, no one is saying that they were.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 05:07:59 PM »
"would not likely be objective when conducting HIS OWN MUSIC...how could he be, if by objective we mean dispassionate and detached"

To me, "objective" would mean following the indications in the score as closely as possible. To me, "dispassionate" and "detached" are subjective observations on the listener's part. I'm willing to bet that there were moments when even Mahler could appear dispassionate and detached with his own music. But that's not really an important point because we don't have evidence either way; and, "d. & d." are simply observations on the listener's part anyway. I think it's interesting that on Mahler's own piano rolls, he played the final stanzas of the fourth movement of the 4th symphony much quicker than most people do. So did Bruno Walter; probably wanting to follow the wishes of the composer. Is that "objective" or "subjective"? I would call that objective, because it comes from the source. What Mahler was depicting was a boy's view of what it's like to sit around in heaven, and not some comfortable songfest to make some fat (or skinny) soprano look and sound cozy. The singer and harp player need to adapt to what the music is depicting, and by whom (and not the other way around!). From all accounts, this would be very much in line with Mahler's approach to opera. He was not interested in making beautiful sounding singers feel comfortable. Instead, the singers and orchestra were made to adapt to what it was that the text and drama were depicting. I'd say that that's pretty darn objective, assuming that one understands the text and drama really well. Certainly, this is why his Wagner was so universally praised, whether in Vienna or New York.

Yes, I agree that Klemperer was striving for "objectivity" in his earlier years. He was, generally speaking, a fast tempo conductor when it came to the standard Austro-German classics. My understanding was that both Stravinsky and Schoenberg had some reservations about him conducting their music; but that they both, by and large, approved of his efforts. I very much like his recording of the Stravinsky "Symphony in 3 Movements", even though that comes from his late Philharmonia period.

So, in many ways, I think that we're both agreeing on a number of things, but are simply looking at the usage of the word "objective" differently. I think that Klemperer's Mahler 7th is good at "texture" type issues (dynamics; balances; clarity of line; coloristic effects, etc.). But at those glacial tempi, it bloody well ought to be! I still think that the old Penguin Guides - which I loath - came up with a great description when they said it was like listening to "Elektra" in slow motion. My only contention is that - and if it were possible to prove, I'd bet great money on it!  - is that Klemperer would have conducted it considerably faster in his earlier years. Certainly Mahler's own timings were considerably shorter, and Klemperer was there at the premiere in Prague. It doesn't really matter whether we call that subjective or objective, the differences in timings remain quite stark. I would bet a huge amount of money that Klemperer wouldn't have dared to try his glacial tempi in front of Mahler! But that's a moot point.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 05:13:09 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline akiralx

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 08:36:42 AM »
I'm not trying to rain on your parade. In the end, one can believe whatever they want; either the performance speaks to you, or it doesn't. But there's plenty of written biographical material - eyewitness accounts - that can substantiate that Klemperer was literally falling asleep at some of his very last recording sessions.

Although he did record The Flying Dutchman around the same time which is one of his more dramatic recordings.

Offline stateworkers

• Statework, Free Great Broadcast Recordings
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 03:57:28 PM »
Hey the M7 was my obsession and subject for Bachelor Thesis- after also considering it my least favorite Mahler work years ago; after listeining to everything I could (cds, broadcast recordings, concerts etc) I have found a wonderful favorite, and wish to share it here. I have posted it up on my blog, since it is not commercially available  (made the cover myself  :P) :

http://statework.blogspot.com/2008/12/mahler-seventh-that-recalls-its.html

Statework, Free Great Broadcast Recordings:
http://statework.blogspot.com

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 04:51:59 PM »
Just curious: of the two predecessors, which do you think comes closer to the Jugendorchester performance?
Russ Smiley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk