Author Topic: OT: my other great musical passion . . .  (Read 22285 times)

Offline barry guerrero

OT: my other great musical passion . . .
« on: March 04, 2007, 06:45:33 AM »
Hi folks,

My other strong musical passion is for what's euphamistically called "west coast jazz" from the 1950's and early '60's. It was a style of jazz that was generally softer and "cooler" sounding than the "hard bop" sounds that were eminating primarily from the east coast and Chicago. It often times intersected with the so-called "third stream" experimentations of Jimmy Giuffre, Lee Konitz, Lennie Tristano, Gunther Schuller, and others (including, at times, Stan Kenton). The third streamers basically crossed "cool school" stylings with more classical forms and structures. Legends of west coast jazz include Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse Allstars; Shelly Manne And His Men (who played mostly at Shelly's Mannhole); Shorty Rogers and His Jazz Giants; The Marty Paich Dek-Tette; Art Pepper (alto sax); Bud Shank (alto sax); Gerry Mulligan (baritone sax), and many, many others. It also fostered the international career of trumpeter and singer Chet Baker. Many of these fine musicians came to the studios of L.A. after leaving the Stan Kenton and Woody Herman bands. One of today's leading survivors among those early west coast jazz legends is trumpeter, singer, and comdian, Jack Sheldon. As you'll see, I'm a huge fan of Jack Sheldon. While his voice has deepened and deteriorated slightly (he's 75, for god's sake), his trumpet soloing continues to improve. Anyway, here's a review that I just wrote at Amazon on his newest CD, "Listen Up".

Track Listings

1. Isfahan 
2. So What 
3. Night in Tunisia 
4. The Shadow of Your Smile 
5. Star Eyes 
6. Lady Bird 
7. Bernie's Tune 
8. I Love You 
9. All Blues 
10. 'Round Midnight 

Thank goodness for virtual record stores like Amazon. I'm so sick and tired of walking into CD shops that carry jazz, only to find rows and rows of Chet Baker and Miles Davis, but nothing - or next to nothing - on Jack Sheldon. Give me a break! Jack Sheldon is immediately identifiable from his first three or four notes on any given take. His sound is every bit as individual and characteristic as that of Chet, Miles, or Diz' even. This is a travesty, folks. Early in his career, Jack was overshadowed by the supposedly more sexy Chet Baker - the Chris Botti of his day. Yet, early Sheldon performances with The Curtis Counce Group; The Marty Paich Dek-Tette; Art Pepper, and the one disc that he made with Herbie Mann (with Mann playing an excellent bass clarinet exclusively), all show that he could easily hold his own against the highly tauted Baker. Granted, Chet Baker had a far more marketable singing voice. Anyway, after becoming an established "west coast" jazz musician - as opposed to Baker's fully international career - Jack Sheldon spent several decades playing in the house band on the Merv Griffin Show; often times playing the role of Merv's comic sidekick. Naturally, this lead many folks to conclude that he was no longer a serious jazzer. Well, I have news for those particular people: you couldn't possibly have been more wrong.

Sheldon's jazz chops never went away. And while his singing voice has deteriorated to some degree (he's 75!), his trumpet playing has simply gotten better and better. Today, at age 75, Jack Sheldon continues to study trumpet with Uan Racey. Nevery heard of Uan Racey? Well trust me, you've heard him play! Mr. Racey played top trumpet on a great number of big Hollywood movies - his most famous and recognizable solos being in the Jack Nicholson/Faye Dunnaway blockbuster that has spurred the entire neo-noir craze, "Chinatown". Remember him now? If you buy Jack Sheldon's latest CD, "Listen Up", you'll hear that Jack now plays with a similar sounding, broad and confident tone in his middle and upper registers as that of Uan Racey's. Yet, the trademark gentle, "foo-foo" style and tone to his low register is perfectly intact. In short, Jack's dynamic range and range of color has increased significantly. All of this wouldn't matter if it weren't also for the fact that he's a hell of an improviser - more like a composer on the spot than yet another trumpeter with a bag full of fast scales and screeching high notes. There's nothing generic about J.S.'s playing what-so-ever. I like to think of him as the Bill Evans of the trumpet. He's makes me think of the many excellent tenor sax players who didn't try to change the course of jazz history - people like Dexter Gordon, Teddy Edwards, and Benny Golson (who really should team up with J.S., before it's too late) - just to name a few. Need I heap on more platitudes?

"Listen Up" is excellent in every conceivable way, including the solid and imaginitive contributions from his California Cool Quartet. In fact, it's so good that you won't miss Jack's singing and/or off-color jokes (which I like); or regret the abscence of a good reed man. It also has great sound. "Listen Up" is one man's statement that's also just fun, musical, and enjoyable to listen to. Imagine that!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 06:28:52 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: OT: my other great musical passion . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 05:14:59 PM »
Thanks for this review Barry.  Some years ago Jazz was all I listened to, in particular Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, T. Monk and Mile Davis.  But Sony Rollins, Paul Desmond (my favorite alto player right now), Eric Dolphy (for his bass clarinet sound) and Pharoah Sanders are also huge favorites, and Oliver Nelson's unique Blues and the Abstract Truth is simply divine.

I once met Sonny Rollins after a concert and he signed an LP for me!  Other memorable greats I've seen are Phil Woods, Marcus Roberts, and Horace Silver. 

When it comes to brass tax, I quess you could say I'm an 'avant-garde' fan, with Coltrane's Meditations album being the most profound Jazz I've ever heard.  I also really love his Ascension album too.

Just looking at these album covers gives me a chill:

A friend of mine used to take care of an older musician who personally knew Stan Getz, so that was cool to hear some of those stories from the 50's and 60's.  I've never really listened alot to the west coast scene though...not because I wasn't interested.  I was just obsessed with Coltrane and etc!!!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 05:17:23 PM by Leo K »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 06:25:06 AM »
If you like bass clarinet, you should hear the album with Herbie Mann and Jack Sheldon. In my opinion, Herbie Mann plays the bass clarinet far than better Eric Dolphy ever could. Granted, Dolphy was sort of a unique player. Anyway, the title is, "Great Ideas Of Western Mann".

And if you like Paul Desmond (I do too), you should try to hear Bud Shank. I'm not a big fan of alto sax, but I so like those two a lot. I'm afraid I'm not a huge fan of either Phil Woods (too obcessed with technique) or Cannonball Adderley (too loud and too fast). I'm not saying that they aren't great - they're just not for me. Anyway, Bud Shank frequently performed and recorded with Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse Allstars, and played regularly at Shelly Mann's Mannhole. I'll post a photo of a really good, older album by the Lighthouse Allstars. Bud Shank often times played flute with the Allstars. Bob Cooper, I think it was, would often times pick up the alto sax duties (or was he baritone sax?). They sometimes recorded with an oboe as well.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 06:31:50 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 06:51:58 AM »
Thanks for those recommends...I'm going try Herbie Mann first.

Wunderhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 06:56:03 AM »

This man was born in my hometown.  :D

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 07:20:51 AM »
I guess it's just me, but I get nothing out of the whole avantgarde, atonal, anti-melodic, free jazz business. Give me Satchmo, Bix, and Sidney Bechet any day. Ornette Coleman, Anthony Braxton, Cecil Taylor, Archie Shepp, Rosan Roland Kirk - I'm not saying that these guys can't play, but they'll force me to leave the room in a matter of minutes. Even Coltrane's more angry sounding moments aren't for me. I like a good tune, and I like players who like to swing. Call me old fashioned - come on, I dare you.

Leo,

You mentioned Horace Silver. I like his "funky" piano stylings very much. But more than that, I think he might possibly be the greatest composer of mainstream jazz tunes of anybody. "Nica's Dream" is my all time favorite jazz tune, and Jack Sheldon recorded an outstanding version of it with the Curtis Counce Group. I also like "Ecaroh", which is simply Horace backwards. Anyway, it's a solid tune as well.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 07:29:29 AM by barry guerrero »

pincopallino

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 12:59:31 PM »
Barry,
as you certainly remember, "my other great musical passion" is the harpsichord...  ;)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 03:22:11 PM »
Barry, I like a good tune too, especially a Gershwin tune.  I also love Thelonious Monk's tunes, like Ruby My Dear.

The last time I was heavy into Jazz I was really into Mile Davis...I prefer his acoustic over his funky electric stuff...I especially love his 'second' Quintet (with Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter).  At the top are his collaborations with Gil Evans...especially his Porgy and Bess album.  I think I prefer Miles on Flugelhorn over the trumpet.  What a timbre!

If I listen to avante garde now, I pick up Coltrane's later stuff on Impulse. It's hard to just throw Coltrane's stuff on...I have to be in the right mood.  Someday I'm going to get more into Archie Shepp, when I find time. 

I love that Curtis Counce album cover!!  I have a fondness for the colors white and blue...it just says 'Jazz' to me...and it makes me think of this great cover (I haven't heard this album, but I always loved the cover!):

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 03:31:13 PM by Leo K »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 08:25:18 AM »
Yeah, that Dolphy cover is terrific! Here's the other great Curtis Counce Group cover. This disc has a great version of "Stranger In Paradise" - the Borodin melody from the opera "Price Igor", which was later co-opted in the musical, "Kismit".

Here's another favorite of mine, "Surf Ride". It features Art Pepper on alto sax, along with a bunch of "west coast" guys from the 50s.

You mentioned Monk's "Ruby, My Dear" - great tune! Well, my favorite Monk recording isn't by Monk, but by Carmen McRae. She does an excellent job on "Ruby". And by the way, she also did a great set of songs from Gershwin's "Porgy and Bess", with Sammy Davis Jr. - great stuff, believe it or not.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 08:37:13 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 08:45:09 AM »
Here's an excellent album from Horace Silver. Great tunes! And, of course, J.J. Johnson is his usual incredible self (trombone). I love both Horace Silver and Art Blakey - main stream guys all the way.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 03:57:28 PM »
Yeah, that Dolphy cover is terrific! Here's the other great Curtis Counce Group cover. This disc has a great version of "Stranger In Paradise" - the Borodin melody from the opera "Price Igor", which was later co-opted in the musical, "Kismit".

Thats a sweet cover...one of these days I'm going to have to check this album out!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 04:14:26 PM »
The problem with these Fantasy - OJC discs, as that they need to be rather short in duration. It would be better if they would combine a few of them into compilations, but keep the original covers.

Wunderhorn

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 03:37:38 AM »
I'm going to New Orleans during May 3-7 to see some sort of Jazz Festival with my father. I'm looking forward to the event. I've always thought Jazz only second to Classical when it comes to music in general; But I've never spent time to get to know it well: This, I believe, will be my opportunity.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 04:02:31 AM »
I looked at the lineup and schedule, and I'm not sure that it should even be called a jazz festival. I say that because there's quite a bit of cajon, zydeco, blues, etc. Depending on your taste and viewpoint, that may or may not be a good thing. I would say to try to hear some of the trad. jazz bands - dixieland, in other words. The biggest difference between classical and jazz is this:  classical is primarily composer driven, while jazz is primarily performer driven. Jazz is a big factor in why I don't take classical performers more seriously. Conversely, many jazz tunes leave much to be desired.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 11:11:15 PM »
I put on some Miles and Gil Evans yesterday...Porgy and Bess...what a great sounding record this is, and a wonderful tribute to Gershwin.  Funny how I hardly think of Gershwin when I listen to it...must be Mile's huge personality and style (and Evans too).  I love how Evan's arrangements can really put on a mood.

I also really really dig that cover!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk