Author Topic: Kobayashi´s Mahler.  (Read 22933 times)

Offline oscar

Kobayashi´s Mahler.
« on: May 24, 2008, 12:58:58 PM »
I received my copy of M 1 conducted by Kobayashi, with the Japan Philharmonic.

What a huge surprise. I loved the performance. Very well integrated, idiomatic and intense.

Now I have become interested in this conductor, that is little known in Europe.

Someone could point out the highlights of his career and other worthwhile recordings of him ?

regards and thanks,

Oscar.

Offline John Kim

Re: Kobayashi´s Mahler.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 04:24:54 PM »
I like Kobayashi's recordings with CPO - M2,M3,M5,M7 (Haven't heard their M1 yet). All are excellent but the M3 is takes the crown. I also have his M9 with JPO. I find it equally good but have a mild reservation with the orchestra.

His strength seems to be, like you said, well integrated structure and not being afraid to express strong emotions wherever they are, combined with the good playing of the orchestra. I wish he continued his cycle with CPO but that's a small complaint.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 04:21:50 PM »
Just be sure to try some of the Czech Phil. ones: 1,3,5,7. He also made a Czech M2, but I don't feel that it's quite as strong as the others. M3 is particularly outstanding.

I'm very curious hear to his new M8, recorded in Japan (the one with no singers names listed!)

Barry

Offline akiralx

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 09:24:47 AM »

I concur - I have the Czech PO M3 on SACD and it is a top choice for me for that work.  The M5 I have on CD and I also like it a lot.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:39:47 PM »
He also made a Czech M2, but I don't feel that it's quite as strong as the others.

I planned to listen to this one around Easter-time, when I was doing a short tour through my M2 SACD's.  I remember being quite impressed with his March of the Souls in M2-V.  The cymbal crashes had the effect of the souls be "whipped" during their march -- quite convincing!  As for the rest of the performance, I just don't remember.  Perhaps I'll queue it up soon. 

I actually listened to his M1 SACD last weekend.  This has always been one of my first tier favorites.  Kobayashi really plays up the shifting moods and the drama, and the CPO is spectacular as usual. 
Scott

Offline umbernisitani

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 09:17:12 AM »
Sorry for resurrecting this 6-year-old post, but I'll add my two cents on Kobayashi's Mahler as it's what I've been hearing recently, as well as reply Barry's unanswered question as to whether his JPO M8 is worth getting.

Well, maybe I'll answer Barry first. It is an absolutely fantastic Mahler 8th. I have probably never heard a more passionate and dramatic prelude to the second part, where the strings absolutely tear into their instruments at their peroration at "etwas bewegter" (did Kobayashi misread it as Ausserst bewegter? Whatever--it's thrilling!) In other places, Kobayashi's interpretation is wholly passionate and committed, and the fantastic orchestra and chorus play and sing with considerable aplomb. The Chorus Mysticus is taken very slowly, but all to the good for the music's transcendental excess. A bit more prominence from the trumpets at the very end would have been nice, but otherwise this is faultless. (Kobayashi even adds a cymbal crash to the very last note!) And the audience goes nuts at the end.

I'm not a general fan of Japanese soloists--having heard some of them almost ruin the otherwise fantastic Inbal M8 (the most recent one)--but it seems that Kobayashi has assembled a very fine cast. The tenor and baritone are particularly outstanding. On the debit side, an unfocused and hoarse Czech bass. Exton's sound is, as usual, fantastic. I read from another post somewhere that someone was worried about getting this M8 because of the rushed and perfunctory Bertini M8. But Kobayashi is not Bertini. Buy with confidence.

As for other Kobayashi Mahler recordings, I have heard his Czech PO 1 and 5. Both are pretty terrific, though in some spots of the 5th symphony the heavy brass fail to penetrate the texture even when they carry the melodic line (a typical CPO problem, I find). But as far as Kobayashi's interpretation goes, he's absolutely spot on.

I see that Barry has recommended the CPO 3rd. I can't wait to hear it, as soon as I get my hands on a copy.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 08:15:25 PM »
John Kim likes his CPO M3 as well. Thank you for - so many years later (and I've even forgotten than he ever did an M8) - lending a vivid description of Kobayashi's M8 recording. I think I'll have to seek it out.

Barry

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 06:09:55 AM »
Kobayashi's M8 is on Spotify, and it might be THE most 'committed' performance of the 8th ever. It sort of makes the live Tennstedt sound a bit anemic in comparison. That very last note in Part II is kind of strange though. Not only does he add a cymbal there, he also hangs on to that last note - making it sound sort of Bruckner like. Regardless, it's pretty darn 'moving'. The whole thing is kind of like Wyn Morris on steroids.

Offline umbernisitani

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 07:56:37 AM »
Committed is a great word! It surely is one of the more intense and involved performances I've heard as well. Kobayashi similarly holds on to the very last note of Part I, but in both instances it's not tastelessly long.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 04:04:47 AM »
I picked up Kobayashi/NJP/Exton M9 SACD in Tokyo lately. I have known the recording all along and liked it very much. But playing the original SACD was an overwhelming experience. This is indeed a great M9th in the best tradition of Bruno Walter (especially his Columbia Orch. recording), steady, powerful, and songful. And the New Japan Phil. Orch. plays beautifully.

My highest recommendation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk