Author Topic: Harding Mahler 10th review  (Read 22423 times)

Offline Don

Harding Mahler 10th review
« on: June 16, 2008, 02:34:25 PM »
Classics Today has a review of the Harding VPO Mahler 10th if you have not seen it.

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=11750

I have not heard the whole thing, so I don't know if I agree or disagree yet.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Harding Mahler 10th review
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 03:11:14 PM »
I've had a "pirate" of the live Harding/VPO M10 performance for a couple of years now. I never imagined that it would get issued on DG, but I'm glad that it finally is, even if it's a tad redundant. When I first listened to the pirate, I was surprised and please just how rhythmically and cleanly played it was. However, I agree that the big climaxes in the two outer movements don't sound all that great. While I think that Dave's points about the VPO's playing are valid, I'm still glad that they're acknowledging the existence and validity of the Cooke version, at least. Perhaps, as Dave states, it's still basically the best one (I like the Carpenter, outrageous as it may be).

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 03:32:20 PM »
Uhmm....a little disappointing. This is why I thought VPO should have played Carpenter's edition instead in the same 'lean style' that D.H. is speaking of here. That would have been very special. But I have not heard the Harding/VPO recording yet although I liked Harding's live FRSO concert of the same Cooke score a couple years ago very much.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 07:52:29 PM »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 05:12:14 AM »
Who'd pay $33.99 for this?

Someone who doesn't want to wait for the domestic issue, I reckon.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 02:40:04 PM »
As much as I'm not crazy for the Gielen M10 (I won't go into all the reasons right now), I have to admit that his first movement climax sounds very good. The one on the Chailly 10th is excellent. But the point is, without reinforcement added (percussion) to the reprise of the big climax in the fifth movement, it's always going to sound a tad underwhelming. I don't know, I thought the Harding M10 was pretty good; and I don't remember feeling that the 4th mvt. (2nd scherzo) sounding disjointed. I'll have to drag it out again. Then again, I'm not working with the DG issue of it.

As for the S/M version, I'll my detailed thoughts about it tonight or tomorrow morning. I have issues with it.

Barry

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 12:28:57 PM »
I've been enjoying Harding's M10 recently. It's so beautifully recorded and I love the pacing and texture he gets from the VPO. Aces!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 07:38:25 AM »
Yes, the Harding/VPO one has grown on me too. However, you really must hear the Thomas Dausgaard/Seattle Symphony one (also Cooke). It's like an updated and better take on the original Ormandy.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 04:01:15 PM »
Yes, the Harding/VPO one has grown on me too. However, you really must hear the Thomas Dausgaard/Seattle Symphony one (also Cooke). It's like an updated and better take on the original Ormandy.

The Dausgaard sounds beautiful, that will be my next M10, thanks for the heads up Barry!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk