Author Topic: Results from Mahler searches  (Read 3568 times)

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
Results from Mahler searches
« on: January 24, 2008, 08:42:01 PM »
In checking out the 1920 and 1930 U.S. Censuses, I found Gustav's brother Alois--who had changed his name to Hans Christian Mahler--in Chicago, listed as a real estate salesman. In 1930 he was 62 years old, and I believe he died later in the 1930s.

In searching the New York Port of Entry passenger lists, I found both Gustav and Alma arriving on Nov. 21, 1908, and Oct. 25, 1910. On the 1908 list, his occupation is given as "band master." Some band. Some master. That sailing was on the S. S. Amerika out of Cuxhaven, a nine-day voyage.

The 1910 trip was on the S. S. Kaiser Wilhelm II out of Bremen, a seven-day voyage. On this list he is put down as "director of a band," a little better perhaps. The passage was paid by the Metropolitan Opera Company, according to the entry.

Here's an interesting item: Gustav was 5' 3", and Alma was 5' 8". (I think Alfred Roller estimated Mahler's height at about 5' 4".)

. & '

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Results from Mahler searches
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 04:24:28 AM »
I guess older photos tend to distort reality, but Alma often appears to be much more than 4 inches taller than him. They look really "Mutt & Jeff" together.

B.

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
Re: Results from Mahler searches
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 11:24:57 PM »
Well, Barry, you know the old bromide, Does the camera ever lie? Always.

I've strained my eyes looking at photos trying to see the difference in their heights. She appears to be taller, but there is always a hat on Alma or the perspective confuses matters--that is, one is nearer the camera than the other. Or she is leaning on something. Do you know of a photo that is unambiguous as to their heights?

The passenger manifest is not necessarily completely accurate, but it is unambiguous.

. & '

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk