Author Topic: . . and I quote from a customer at work (re: Boulez M8)  (Read 4045 times)

Offline barry guerrero

. . and I quote from a customer at work (re: Boulez M8)
« on: January 27, 2008, 11:08:33 AM »
A customer of mine who bought the Boulez Mahler 8th a few days ago, told me today - quote - "it really wears well with repeated listening". That's exactly what I've been saying. He's been playing it everyday since he bought. It really sounds good if you turn waaaay up. That sort of overcomes - or justifies - the slow tempi in Part II.

I went back to the Solti M8 (yuck!) and I feel that, in general, the vocalists are actually better on the Boulez. As good as Rene Kollo can be, I feel that Botha is even better.

Barry
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 11:16:00 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: . . and I quote from a customer at work (re: Boulez M8)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 03:35:01 PM »
Solit's M8 may have kept me away from this work years ago...I really don't like it.  Only when I heard the Inbal M8 did I hear what this work could be, and I started to enjoy it.

Yes, I agree...turn the Boulez up loud, and keep listening and listening...it is an excellant conception, and brilliant in that Boulez has found a different way into this work...a little off the well beaten path.  Who would have thought the first movement could have a bigger ending?  It's not perfect (but what is?), but still Fascinating. 

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

Re: . . and I quote from a customer at work (re: Boulez M8)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 07:19:28 AM »
Same thing for me: the Solti M8 kept me from liking the piece for nearly two decades. I could acknowledge that it was technically good, but it made me think that M8 was not a particularly good piece of music. Then I heard the Bernstein around 1979 or '80.  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk