Author Topic: Korngold Symphony - suggestion  (Read 3906 times)

Offline John Kim

Korngold Symphony - suggestion
« on: January 30, 2008, 05:32:52 AM »
Can anyone describe what the Korngold Symphony is like, along with suggested recordings? Everyone seems to praise Welser Most/Philadelphia Orch./EMI version.

Thanks.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Korngold Symphony - suggestion
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 07:28:12 AM »
Well, I think that Korngold is one of those composers who have to try for yourself, and see if his music is for you. I personally think that his greatest contributions are his film scores. His biggest opera, "Das Wunder der Heliane", is pretty good. In my opinion, it's better than "Die tote Stadt", which is much better known. The symphony doesn't do a whole lot for me. It's tonal, but the tunes aren't terribly memorable. A lot of the busy music sounds perfect for "Captain Hook", or some other movie with lots swashbuckling action. I think you'll just have to give it a shot and see. I could certainly continue my life without it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 07:54:10 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline sbugala

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 03:44:13 PM »
I agree with Barry.  He's an acquired taste, but he's worth trying.  I like his Symphony, although it could be dismissed as facile by some.  I like the idea that the slow movement is a memorial to FDR.  It kind of moves me to think of an American president having that kind of effect on an exiled composer.   

The De Priest version with the Oregon Symphony is a fine version.  When Welser-Most used to guest conduct in St. Louis, I eagerly looked forward to every appearance. He did a killer M6 and M7 here, for instance.  However, I can't say I've been too enamored with any of his recordings.  I blame most of this on the recording, which doesn't seem "fat" enough for Korngold. Things seem a little too streamlined, and as a result, rather colorless for me. 

If you don't know it, the Violin Concerto is a fine work, too.

Offline stillivor

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 04:24:34 PM »
  The symphony is rather splendid, including a fascinating opening. Only heard it the once, but I was impressed.

Something like inferior mahler shot thru with some Weill-like angst.

I have the ever-wonderful Rudolf Kempe in the premiere recording. You don't have to be thaaat adventurous - the conductor Mitropoulos rated the symphony very highly indeed.

Ivor

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 04:51:13 PM »
I listened to audio clips of this symphony on internet and I liked it VERY MUCH. It sounded even more interesting than his films scores. I shall try Kempe's Munich recording sometime.

John,

Offline akiralx

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 11:58:34 AM »

I don't really rate it - I've had Kempe's and Previn's DG version and culled them both.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk