Author Topic: New German Film on Mahler  (Read 7053 times)

Offline James Meckley

New German Film on Mahler
« on: April 21, 2010, 05:32:11 AM »
There's a new film on Mahler coming out in Germany this summer titled Mahler on the Couch. Apparently it focuses on the famous 1910 session Mahler had with Sigmund Freud in Leyden, and the tensions that led up to it. The release date is, of course, July 7, 2010.

http://www.mahleraufdercouch.com/

I imagine it'll be controversial, but probably not so controversial as Ken Russell's 1974 effort (which must be about due for a fresh DVD—or Blu-ray—release).

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

Re: New German Film on Mahler
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 06:12:51 AM »
I think a far more interesting documentary would be about how the Mahler 8th has now become a huge success everywhere - often times replacing the Beethoven 9th as the "feel good" work of choice. It seems like they put it on every five minutes in Japan. A performance in Australia that coincided with the 2000 Olympics used over a thousand performances (De Waart). And a performance on the Impanema Beach in Rio de Janiero drew a quarter of a million people! I'm sure Mahler would much rather that we dwell on his message to the world, and not on his personal problems. 

Still, if it's good, I'll probably want to see it.

Offline waderice

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:14:55 PM »
A performance of M8 on the Impanema Beach in Rio? ???  Wonder how many of the female concert attendees came dressed in string bikinis? ;D

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 03:33:14 PM »
That's what I'm talkin about!  8)

john haueisen

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 05:37:13 PM »
Not too much should be made of Mahler's encounter with Siegmund Freud.
It lasted only a few hours.  The chief significance, however was important for both men:
Freud was impressed by Mahler's intelligence and ability to comprehend what he was talking about, and Mahler seemed to have his concerns about being so much older than Alma, put to rest by Freud who reassured him that an older, father figure, was exactly what Alma needed.
--John Haueisen

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 06:54:01 PM »
Not too much should be made of Mahler's encounter with Siegmund Freud.

Agreed. It's all covered pretty well in psychiatrist Stuart Feder's book, Gustav Mahler: A Life in Crisis which, if you can tolerate the many factual errors and internal contradictions sprinkled throughout, makes pretty interesting reading. Dr. Feder should have had a better editor. I haven't yet read his Ives book, though I've been meaning to for several years.

James
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 07:05:09 PM by James Meckley »

Offline GL

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 08:47:48 PM »
For a trailer:

http://anthonymcalister.blogspot.com/2010/06/mahler-auf-der-couch.html

As far as I can understand, it's another Mahler as depicted by Alma's autobiography (something like "Bride of the wind"). I still prefer Ken Russel: he is not biographically correct but at least he delivers something of the Mahler that transpires through his music.

I hope one day someone will try making a film with the aid of De La Grange epic biography.

L.

Offline mahler09

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 02:00:25 AM »
I watched the trailer but have to agree with the earlier points made on their meeting... the actor playing Mahler didn't seem to have a huge resemblance though!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 07:43:25 AM »
"Not too much should be made of Mahler's encounter with Siegmund Freud"

My understanding is that Freud was very impressed with just how much Mahler comprehended in a short amount of time. The whole business about Mahler substituting his mother with Alma (wanting Alma to suffer as his mother had) - that must have been a pretty big breakthrough for him. Furthermore, Freud assured Mahler that the very things that he was feeling so insecure about, were the very things that attracted Alma to him in the first place. Frankly, I would interpret that things improved greatly between Mahler and Alma, after Mahler's encounter with Freud. Of course, the damage from her dalliances had already happened. But if Mahler hadn't received such insight from Freud, it's possible that Alma might have walked out much earlier. She picked-up on the change in him immediately.

My problem with this movie is this: why, "on the couch"? There was no couch. Freud and Mahler discussed everything while walking around a Dutch city (Leyden - was that it?). They barely had time for each other, but thank goodness they did.

Also, what a huge surprise: the Adagietto from the 5th symphony.

Offline Jules

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 06:53:27 PM »
My problem with this movie is this: why, "on the couch"? There was no couch. Freud and Mahler discussed everything while walking around a Dutch city

Probably it is meant in a metaphorical sense. Not literally.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 10:37:43 PM »
.    .     .    if you look at the trailer, it clearly shows Mahler being directed to lie down on the couch. That didn't happen. I don't think that making a metaphor out of the couch, somehow improves on what really happened.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 11:01:41 PM »
The movie also refers to the consultation having taken place in Amsterdam, when in fact it took place in Leiden (Leyden).

James

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk