Author Topic: Opinions on Mahler No.2  (Read 7332 times)

squonk76

Opinions on Mahler No.2
« on: April 16, 2007, 09:10:48 PM »
Hello there,
       I'm relatively new to Mahler's Symphonic cycle and I must say that the 2nd Symphony packs a particularly solid punch.  Now I've heard so much raving about Mehta's Decca recording from '75 and Bernstein's recording from his second cycle in the 80s that I went and bought them both...and wow what a difference!  Two entirely different experiences...right now I am partial to the taught nature of the Mehta reading although the Bernstein reading has a transcendent and ethereal quality that is rather remarkable.  So, I am curious as to what others think of these readings and to name any other readings that equal or surpass these in power and emotional gravity?  Let the opinions fly.  Thanks!

Offline Damfino

Re: Opinions on Mahler No.2
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 02:32:30 AM »
Well, you could not have started with two more different recordings!  I daresay i tend to share your preference for the Mehta approach over Bernstein's.  I like the 2nd to be really intense and almost bitter in the first 3 movements.  As I am a Mahler 2nd junkie, I have bought and resold more recordings than I care to mention.  I used to own both of the ones you mention, but I no longer do. 

There are so many things that really have to work in order for me to like a recording of the 2nd.  I guess I keep buying recordings in the hope that I will get "THE one".  I do not like the 1st funeral march movement to drag.  BOTH soloists have to be good.  Many recordings get a good alto, but settle for a soprano that is forced.  And I like to hear the organ at the end.  Many recordings excel in one or two areas, but fail in another. 

If you like the Mehta VPO recording, you might like his DVD audio recording with the Israel Philharmonic.  It is basically the same fast and intense approach as the earlier recording, but with incredible sonics.  Florence Quivar and Nancy Gustaffson are the solosists.  I would prefer a slightly "lighter" soprano than Gustaffson, but she is not a deal breaker.  The organ is the BEST ever, IMO.  Maybe the only way the organ can be loud enough is with multi-channel recordings?  In many stereo recordings, it just sounds like a roar or simply blends in with the rest of the orchestra.

Other recordings I currently admire: Otmar Suitner with the Berlin Staatskapelle and Herbert Blomstedt with the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra (though I could use more organ in each of those).  I also like Bernard Haitink's BPO version.  Jard Van Nes and Sylvia McNair have sung the alto and soprano parts many times, and they are great on this recording.  However, IMO Haitink rather drags out the finale more than I would like.  McNair is perfect, though, and in the DVD video version, you can hear the organ rather well.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 03:35:35 AM »
These are excellent comments by Damfino. I'll just add that I really like the Ivan Fischer/Budapest F.O. M2 on Channel Classics. Also, Klemperer is well worth hearing in M2. I prefer a live Klemperer one that EMI issued from with the Bavarian Radio Orchestra, with Janet Baker singing. That one is hard to find now.

Barry Guerrero

Offline david johnson

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 09:38:26 AM »
m2 is, off and on, my favorite piece of music.  klemperer is my preferred performance...but i like so many others, too.

dj

Offline Damfino

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 07:33:33 PM »
Posted by Barry: I'll just add that I really like the Ivan Fischer/Budapest F.O. M2 on Channel Classics. Also, Klemperer is well worth hearing in M2. I prefer a live Klemperer one that EMI issued from with the Bavarian Radio Orchestra, with Janet Baker singing. That one is hard to find now.

I only have the studio Klemperer recording.  I still like that one, and you can actually hear the organ better in that old recording than in some digital ones.  I probably should look for the live Klemperer, as the 2nd is really exciting live.  Still have not heard the Fischer, other than the brief excerpts @ Amazon, which are not enough to go by.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 04:10:24 AM »
The Fischer is an excellent "modern" recording (by my tastes), but it certainly won't wipe out memories of your favorite ones. Most everyone seems to agree upon the Mehta/VPO and Klemperer "Resurrection" recordings. I completely agree with your comments regarding Mehta's IPO remake, especially on DVD-A.

Barry
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 05:07:39 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline bluesbreaker

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 07:01:41 AM »
The old Lenny M2 on Sony is very similar in spirit with the 75 Mehta one, although slower. I love them both and of course the digital Lenny one. Try the Sony Lenny M2 if you can buy it.

The Suitner recording with Berlin gang is a very good alternative for me if I don't feel like tackling the Lenny recordings. It's very romantic sounding although not that emotional, and it fits in one disc. There are lots of air around during the flute solo before the chorus entrance and I really like that, since the same section in Lenny's DG one sounds quite "narrow". The only down point for me with the Suitner recording is the percussion department, which sounds a little weak.

Hey Barry, you told me that the bells in this one is quite deep but unfortunately they are almost inaudible........ ???
Under The Dark Side Of The Glass Moon

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 08:37:37 AM »
There is one really low pitched bell - perhaps electronic - bonging away. It comes through fine with a sub-woofer.

Casaubon

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 01:02:41 PM »
I like the Mehta as well, and haven't heard the Lenny in a long time so I can't really remember it.  But to me, M2 begins and ends with the SACD Slatkin/St Louis recording on Telarc.  I've never found a recording as convincing as that and to me it's not even close.  I will say that I haven't heard the Fischer everyone's talking about, though.

Ivor

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 04:58:57 PM »
  I sort of envy anyoe starting out on their Mahler journey and wish I could do so again. But alas... So I hope you have a great time,squonk76.

The first time i ever heard M2 live,at the Royal festival hall in London,I had to go and sit in the coffee bar after with my friend for quite a while to calm. It really got to me in a thoroughly unsettling way.

I don't have a favourite performance,tho' Stokowski at the BBC Proms in '63 is quite something. He broke with BBC Proms tradition that night,apparently,and reprised the closing chorus.

What am I saying,of course I have a favourite,Oscar Fried's,the earliest,from around 1924.( :o,no?) You have to have a very tolerant ear,and if you can get past the surface noise,the severe restrictions and can empathise enough to hear what they were doing,then you might see why it gets my vote.(No,I don't have quality equipment [as far as I know - never had the money or sufficient interest],just a Marantz cd 52 CD player attached to Pioneer equipment i got for £40 in a Sally Army shop.)

Nor is M2 my favourite M symphony. I'd like to think that each one is somebody's favourite;that WOULD be marvellous.

Ivor

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 08:21:03 PM »
Ivor, I just recieved the Fried M2 in the mail...I 'm looking foward to listening to this...thanks for the recommendation!!

Casaubon

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 10:45:30 PM »
    What am I saying,of course I have a favourite,Oscar Fried's,the earliest,from around 1924.( :o,no?) You have to have a very tolerant ear,and if you can get past the surface noise,the severe restrictions and can empathise enough to hear what they were doing,then you might see why it gets my vote.(No,I don't have quality equipment [as far as I know - never had the money or sufficient interest],just a Marantz cd 52 CD player attached to Pioneer equipment i got for £40 in a Sally Army shop.)

Ivor

Gracious, I find the sound quality on the Szell M6 to be unacceptably bad; I can't imagine what I'd think of the Fried recording.  Particularly in Mahler, I have to have a recording that's sonically excellent before I can really enjoy it.  I don't have great equipment either, but good enough for most stuff I guess.  Different strokes for different folks I guess!

Offline Amphissa

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 01:38:24 AM »
The Fried has truly dreadful audio. Most awful of all is the impact of that dreadful audio on the vocal portions. Warbling is perhaps the best description of the vocal sounds coming out of my speakers. Ivor has a tolerant ear indeed. I do not possess that kind of tolerance. Blech! :P

"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 06:14:21 AM »
I just have a feeling that the Zinman/Zurich M2 that's coming out on May 29th is going to be yet another really fine M2 recording. Anna Larsson will be his mezzo. It's on Arte Nova, which is distributed by Sony/BMG (the merger from hell). It'll be an SACD/CD hybrid too.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk