Author Topic: M7 from Stenz / Gürzenich-Orchester Köln  (Read 7028 times)

Offline hrandall

M7 from Stenz / Gürzenich-Orchester Köln
« on: May 20, 2013, 03:46:49 PM »
Hi there,

Anyone hear this one yet or find a review?

http://www.oehmsclassics.de/cd.php?formatid=610

So far I haven't seen a U.S. release date.

Cheers,
Herb

Offline barry guerrero

Re: M7 from Stenz / Gürzenich-Orchester Köln
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 11:14:27 PM »
Pretty fast tempi. His entire cycle is really growing on me.

Offline barry guerrero

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:44:56 AM »
Stenz's last three movements, III.-V. are outstanding. As in M8th he knows where exactly the big climax of the symphony is - the coda of finale - and he really screws things there letting the orchestra go at full throttle (those bells!). It's the best M7th: Finale I've ever heard in recent years. The CD is worth listening to the movement alone. In the Scherzo, no other conductor has captured the volatile, unsteady mood as assuredly and brilliantly as Stenz. The second Nacht Musik (IV.) is done eqaully well setting a subtle, nice transition from night to day. The orchestra plays beautifully with total conviction in these movements. Alas, it's the first two movts where I am having trouble... they aren't just special enough to be distinguished from other versions. Also, the playing here isn't as tight as in the last three movements.

Will have to get back to the disc and listen more!  ;)

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 03:31:35 AM »
Thanks John - now I've got to buy YET ANOTHER M7 sacd/cd disc   ;)

Offline hrandall

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 01:13:14 PM »
This is available to hear on Spotify now if you'd like a full-length preview:

http://open.spotify.com/user/1230048388/playlist/3TzDjkkeZGu8W4zJDMDhbc

Cheers,
Herb

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 10:41:41 PM »
Indeed, the last three movements are excellent, with the best finale I've yet to encounter. It's not just that Stenz's finale is fast. In addition to being on the generally quick side (with lots of tempo contrasts), Stenz takes the final peroration - located near the end of the symphony - incredibly slow and with lots of deep bells AND cowbells (you can hear them both). In other words, he 'gets it' that Mahler 7 dumps you on the doorstep of Mahler's life-affirming 8th symphony. He also 'gets it' that Mahler is making fun of himself and the entire turn-of-the-century aesthetic.

I also like Stenz's scherzo quite a bit too . It us fast, but he also keeps the dynamics soft except at the climaxes (which he really brings out). Very well done.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 01:54:15 AM »
It's the best M7th ive heard in recent years for the reasons Barry (and I) laid out. The first two movtd are also good but perhaps fall short just a little compared to the excellent 3-5th.

John

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 12:16:43 AM »
So what's your take on the first two movts Barry?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 03:07:18 AM »
Good. The first movement is pretty intense with lots of contrast between fast and slow sections. The second movement could be a tad slower for my liking (to bring out a more 'mysterious' quality).

In the first movement, Zinman does the slow, centrally placed 'moonlit' episode better than anyone I know. I like J. Nott for the second movement. Barenboim is good with the second movement as well.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 02:36:33 PM »
I really like this recording too. I was surprised at the intensity of the performance. It made me think of Kondrashins' two Mahler 7's. Which, oddly enough, both have some foibles in the playing.

Stenz is putting out a pretty interesting cycle from what I've been able to listen too. His 3rd and 8th are in the queue. 

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 10:22:39 PM »
3 and 8 are very interesting. I'd curious to see what you think (his M8 has the best ending to Part II ever).

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 12:49:11 AM »
3 and 8 are very interesting. I'd curious to see what you think (his M8 has the best ending to Part II ever).
I took in the Stenz M8 last night. You are correct about the ending, I don't think I've heard better. Those tam-tams crashes are amazing. The organ is powerful enough. The sound is huge but so balanced. That's what I really liked about this 8th. The balances are about perfect. Everything speaks. I'm glad he used a smaller choir; this doesn't turn into a mass of unintelligible sound. The tempos are swift and flexible and really feel right to me. I felt the soloist were pretty good. Some of the low end female stuff gets wobbly. Stenz seems to understand how to build this work up. I had the same feeling about his 7th. He wants to take us somewhere and he knows how to do it.

This and the Chailly 8 with Leipzig are hard to beat.

Offline Clov

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 07:43:15 PM »
The finale to Stenz M7 is outstanding. I got the Amazon mp3, I should've been doing Spotify this whole time.   :-\
'A man of means by no means.' - Roger Miller

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk