Author Topic: Abbado and DLvdE?  (Read 5955 times)

Offline nickmolland

Abbado and DLvdE?
« on: July 21, 2009, 12:53:16 PM »
I've just realised that there are no commercial recordings of Das Lied conducted by Abbado, unless I'm missing something obvious. Does anyone have any idea why this might be, other than happenstance?

Are there any airshots of live performances about?

Thanks

Nick

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
Re: Abbado and DLvdE?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 04:19:58 PM »
...same goes for Gielen and Chailly -- although I have radio rips of each of them performing DLvdE.  I have never even heard a radio rip of Abbado performing DLvdE! 
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 05:48:22 PM »
I think these folks are very afraid of dying after conducting the piece ;D.

John,

P.S. I did ran across with a short video clip of Abbado conducting DLVDE.

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 07:36:25 PM »
I was just wondering the same thing about Haitink. Is he too DLvdE-less?

. & '

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 07:48:12 PM »

. & '
Nope, he recorded it once with RCO for Philips.

John,

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 07:50:16 PM »
Oops! I just noticed--just before your response was posted, John--that Haitink did indeed record DLvdE in 1975--Janet Baker and James King, with the RCO.

Let's see, now. Who else has missed doing DLvdE?

.& '

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 08:34:17 PM »
Oops! I just noticed--just before your response was posted, John--that Haitink did indeed record DLvdE in 1975--Janet Baker and James King, with the RCO.

Let's see, now. Who else has missed doing DLvdE?

.& '
Maazel and Ozawa (although I heard an excellent live concert by him).

John,

Offline Psanquin

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 11:19:49 AM »
John, Maazel recorded it with Waltraud Meier, Ben Heppner and the Bayerischen Rundfunks.

Recently after a concert I had the chance to ask Michael Gielen about this fact and he told that years ago a recording was scheduled but the poor performance of the tenor make this project not feasible. He did not told his name.

P.S. I did ran across with a short video clip of Abbado conducting DLVDE.

Amazing. Watching it would be a dream to me. I know that he has conducted the Abschied ALONE several times.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 03:07:19 PM »
John, Maazel recorded it with Waltraud Meier, Ben Heppner and the Bayerischen Rundfunks.
Yep, I forgot about it and I actually own the recording ;). I like it very much in the first 5 movts. but the finale is a near disaster because of Meier, IMO.

John,

Offline Psanquin

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 05:25:31 PM »
Yep, I forgot about it and I actually own the recording ;)

Absolutely understandable. How many DLVDE do you own ;)?

I like it very much in the first 5 movts. but the finale is a near disaster because of Meier, IMO

I actually do not know this recording but I imagine what you mean. I have Meier's Abschieds with Barenboim and Bychkow in DVD.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 09:31:39 PM »
     .& '

That one is probably my top pick for a DLvdE, although the live Kubelick/Audite is really just as good.   Haitink also does a fine DLvdE in the Mahlerfeest box with the GMJO (youth orchestra).  His soloists are Heppner and Hampson. 

FWIW, I don't have a problem with Meier so much in the Maazel (or the Bychkov) -- IMO it is Maazel who is the problem! 
Scott

Offline John Kim

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 10:11:06 PM »
FWIW, I don't have a problem with Meier so much in the Maazel (or the Bychkov) -- IMO it is Maazel who is the problem! 
On second thought, I'd blame Maazel as much as Meier for the dismal failure in the Finale. Neither the conductor nor the soloist seems to have a deep affinity for the score and they both want to get over with it as fast as they can. The final Ewig, ewig,... is the worst I ever heard >:(.

John,

Offline DWheelerKY

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 07:29:20 AM »

. & '

It's a great recording with James King and Janet Baker, available on a two-disc set  from Phillips, coupled with his wonderful 1969 9th with the RCO.

I've also always wondered why Abbado hasn't recorded Das Lied von der Erde. Strange for such a great Mahlerian.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 08:03:17 AM »
Whatever the reason, Waltraud Meier sounds quite a bit better on this DVD version of "DLvdE", with Torsten Kerl and Semyon Bychkov (conductor). This one is really quite good.

http://www.amazon.com/Follow-Voice-Within-Me-Portrait/dp/B0001BMMCW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1253347230&sr=1-3

If Abbado's incredibly boring "Kindertotenlieder" (Sony - long deleted) is anything to go by, I'd rather that he not bother with "DLvdE". Actually, his "Des Knaben Wunderhorn" isn't all that great either. Go figure.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 08:05:27 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk