General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Inbal/5th/FRSO

<< < (3/6) > >>

Leo K:

--- Quote from: John Kim on January 10, 2007, 05:48:05 PM ---Scott,

I'd agree on the Inbal M4th. It's amazingly good. Like yourself, I don't remember listening to this recording so often in the past but recently I revisited it and was really surprised that it's so good. I have a fond memory of the Solti/CSO M5th (the 70's studio one); it was my first M5th and I also heard him doing the work live in Austin, Texas in mid 80's. I was blown away by the concert.

Try Tennstedt/NYPO/NYPO Box set M5th. It's even better than his live one with LPO. Better played and better recorded.

John,

--- End quote ---

I heard the live M5 Tennstedt/LPO in Osaka Japan during the Holidays...wow, what a great performance there...It didn't make an impression on my first hearing, but the second time around I was amazed by the interpetation, which is rather dark.  But I couldn't get the performance outta my mind after Christmas.

barry guerrero:
Leo,

If you're talking about the live Tennstedt/LPO M5 from 1988 on EMI, unfortunately, that one's now long out of print. Indeed, it's very good.

Barry

sperlsco:

--- Quote from: barry guerrero on January 10, 2007, 09:14:08 PM ---Leo,

If you're talking about the live Tennstedt/LPO M5 from 1988 on EMI, unfortunately, that one's now long out of print. Indeed, it's very good.

Barry

--- End quote ---

Available from Japan for less than $10 USD. 

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/1866098

...make that $10 plus $20 shipping.   ;D

Actually, I used to see that one on ebay every so often. 

Leo K:

This is the CD I'm talking about (the performance comes from Japan in 1984).  Real killer performance too!

barry guerrero:
Wow! That's pretty cool. If they give the timings, would you mind sharing them? Thanks.

Barry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version