Author Topic: Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin/Warner M9th - revisit  (Read 4929 times)

Offline John Kim

Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin/Warner M9th - revisit
« on: September 05, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
It's been a while since I last listened to this recording but I must confess that upon re-listening this morning my reaction got really warmed up. The sound is still somewhat wanting in clarity and dynamic range, but the what a playing! The woodwinds are so outstanding in this recording that thery gives a whole new perspective to the score. I also love Barenboim's blazing 2007 broadcast recording with the same orchestra (that one had faster tempo - perhaps too fast - and even more alert playing) but this M9th is in a class by itself.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Barenboim/Staatskapelle Berlin/Warner M9th - revisit
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 08:27:39 PM »
Yes, this is my favorite "fast" ninth...the live performance has an edge over the commercial release, but both performances are absolutely magnificant.

--Leo

Offline bluesbreaker

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 01:20:35 AM »
Listen to M9 in the morning is like suicide to me..........just not the right time, IMHO.
Under The Dark Side Of The Glass Moon

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 02:21:28 AM »
Listen to M9 in the morning is like suicide to me..........just not the right time, IMHO.

Not to me. I just listen to the "sound" of the music which I LOVE.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 11:19:28 PM »
This Barenboim M9 is fast becoming a favorite for me, I wish there was a SACD.  The performance is so edgy, so strong...I can't help but think this performance very Mahlerian in spirit.

--Leo

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 06:13:33 AM »
This Barenboim M9 is fast becoming a favorite for me, I wish there was a SACD.  The performance is so edgy, so strong...I can't help but think this performance very Mahlerian in spirit.

--Leo
Agreed, but I wish the sound had more clarity, wider dynamics. As it stands, several climaxes (particularly in I.) sound congested lacking details and impact. Perhaps they can clean up the sonics and reissue on SACD fromat in the future. Interpretively, Barenboim is nearly perfect, especially in the two middle movts., but the first movt. is not quite on the same level.

John,

Offline sbugala

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 04:27:35 AM »
I was patient enough to wait for my local public library (and place of employment) to acquire this recording.  It was worth the wait.  While my comments are limited thus far to the first movement, I thought I would share a few thoughts that may have already been touched upon, but may deserve repeating. Already, I'm scheming to ditch some of recordnigs to rationalize acquiring this. 

Barenboim's view/or the recording producer's, favors the winds over the strings, but that's fine by me.  I didn't feel I was missing out on a bigger string sound, but preferred the more prominent winds.  I was hearing things in the low woodwinds that really "rocked out," so to speak.  I was also impressed hearing important motifs in the bass section I had never heard before.  Despite what others have said about the climaxes being a bit pulled back, I didn't find that to be the case. My favorite loud parts were thrilling.  The huge climax was well judged.  The only thing that struck me as odd were the bells during the funeral march portion.  For me, they weren't weird enough to compare to the Concertgebouw's, and not normal enough like almost everyone else's. 

I hope to give more thought down the road. 

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 06:04:03 PM »
Still, I am not 100% happy with the sound which is cavernous, murky and smearing some details. SACD format might be able to clean things up and make it better sounding. Otherwise, a very sensible treatment of various instructions in the score with subtle changes in the mood and tempo relationships (such as judicious slowdown in the middle section of and end of I.) makes this a near success.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 05:52:47 PM »
Although a bit more rushed..Barenboim's live M9 broadcast from last April is aliittle better, more on the dangerous side. 

--Leo

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 06:00:14 PM »
Although a bit more rushed..Barenboim's live M9 broadcast from last April is aliittle better, more on the dangerous side. 

--Leo
True. The love broadcast is more secure in playing; I can hear the horns more prominent, the trumpets (which were DH's critical point) more confident. The tempo is swifter but it only adds to the urgency and wind abandon. Overall, it shows mature reading and better playing.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk