Author Topic: initial response to Boulez M8  (Read 4806 times)

Offline barry guerrero

initial response to Boulez M8
« on: October 21, 2007, 05:40:10 PM »
I'll write in greater depth once I get to know this recording better. It's very interesting, and a solid closer to Boulez's generally good cycle. The sound is surprisingly good for such a huge work. DG and Boulez chose to record this in the excellent acoustics of the Jesus Christus Kirche. But just from the photos included, you can tell that this was a bit of a tight fit - just like doing the "Resurrection" in the small confines of Wien's Musikverein. The end of Part 1 - the "Gloria" - is performed with the throttle wide open.

What's interesting here is Boulez's amazingly slow tempo, which he sustains all the way to the end of the "Gloria". Oddly enough, the end of Part 2 isn't played with the throttle quite so open. The organ is held in check slightly, and the various tam-tam smashes are almost inaudible (you can hear the cymbals, obviously). I believe that Boulez and DG were taking great strides to get the balances correct between the offstage and onstage brass. They also leave room for a solid crescendo on the very last measure, which is something they didn't even try to do on their Vienna "Resurrection" recording (as a result, the last chord just sat there like a lump). Maybe they read my complaints on that particular detail.

Back in Part 1, I like just how clearly you can hear Mahler's elaborate contrapuntal choral writing during the big fugue. In fact, vocal and choral parts are clearly delineated throughout the entire recording. Personally, I would have prefered for some of the vocal solos to have sounded further away (some performances have the soloists behind the orchestra - at the front of the chorus). But I also like how Boulez establishes his tempo ideas right from the very start of Part 1. He doesn't do the initial "Veni, veni creator spiritus" really fast like Solti (but not too slow either, like Chailly), but he doesn't do a huge slow-down for the second subject either: "imple superna gratia". He keeps all this secondary material flowing along (unlike Solti, who permits all the big fatsos from the Vienna opera to just wallow away in a vocal pig troff), thus minimizing tempo contrasts throughout part 1. Combine all this with a slow and grand "Gloria", and you end up with a different and interesting Part 1.

Much of Part 2 is a tad slow for me, particularly the passage for the three (and a half) penitant women towards the end. However, the orchestral detail behind the penitant women is beautifully captured. For me, the best stretch of Boulez's Part 2 begins with the first big tenor solo - "hochste herrscherin der Welt" - and stretches all the way until Gretchen's first big appearance some seven minutes later (Una Penitentium - same as Gretchen"). In fact, tenor Johan Botha is quite good in a heldentenor-ish way throughout Part 2.

Well, that's it for now. I'll have to live with this a bit more before yapping on and on. Initially, this doesn't seem quite as well integrated - or monumental at the sympony's concluding postlude - as the recent Antoni Wit one. However, much of the solo vocal work is clearly better. I like Wit's conclusion better, reinforced by very strong trombones. But Boulez's slow "Gloria" is thrilling in its own odd way as well. Perhaps he views that as being the more important ending.

Barry

Offline John Kim

Re: initial response to Boulez M8
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 10:02:26 PM »
Thank s for your detailed review. It sounds like a perfect cup of tea for me.

Where did you get the CD? From UK, Japan?

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 07:13:56 AM »
UK. I forget which vendor, but there are tons of them - willing and able.

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 04:25:49 PM »
I ordered this one last week from MDT in the UK.  I should receive it this week.  I also ordered the Macal M5 from them. 
Scott

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 04:30:07 PM »
Thanks Barry...this sounds like a very interesting view of the M8...I look forward to ordering this very soon!

--Leo

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 05:47:36 AM »
I've listened to Boulez's Part 2 all the way through now. It's quite expansive: 61 minutes! Yet, the earlier Wagner-like passages have more tension to them than on Nagano's equally slow account (I like Nagano's ending a bit more, however). The baritone soloist is not so good, relatively speaking, but the bass-baritone is excellent (Robert Holl). The more Mendelssohn like passages - starting with the first entrance of the childrens chorus (reinforced by the women) - are surprisingly light and supple. As I mentioned before, the best stretch is starting from the tenor's first big solo; continuing on through the orchestral passage for high strings, harp, and harmonium (chamber organ), and finishing up with Gretchen making her appearance through the ether that Mahler conjures up via his amazing and unusual orchestration. For my taste, the penitant women passages are just a tad too slow, with the voices themselves being too close. Those women aren't so evenly matched either - some are better at this sort of writing than others. But things do pick up again with an outstanding "blicket auf" section, with tenor Johan Botha turning in an even finer performance than earlier on. I just wish that DG had paid for one more take of the symphony's concluding postlude. The tam-tam is too distant - almost inaudible, really - while the offstage trumpets sound too local; they should be farther afield. This balance problem could have been easily fixed. I do like the big bass drum crescendo on the symphony's final measure.

All in all, I can't say that this new Boulez M8 over-rides my already established favorites. In just plain-old two channel stereo, I think that the best overall recommendation might be hearing Rattle's M8 on the expanded range DVD (his "redbook" CD is way too constricted sounding). Nagano has the better Part 1, but Rattle is excellent throughout Part 2. Antoni Wit is the best compromise, I suppose. And I really do like the pacing and priorities on the Bertini M8.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 05:52:35 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 04:28:04 PM »
First impressions on the Boulez M8 (Japan ed): 

I should waited awhile after hearing the pristine sound of the Macal M7 to put this on, as the sound is great for 2 channel stereo, but cannot compare with Exton.  Yet, Boulez and the Stattskapelle are impressive indeed.  I have to admit the 1st movement left me cold at first (but I was still in the sound world of M7), but as the performance progressed I was won over.  The ending of the first movement is among the biggest I've heard for the M8...cosmic sounding...very uplifting and well captured in the wonderful sound of the recording.  The same can be said of the 2nd movement, it may start alittle too slow (even for me), but the performance got better, and I heard Boulez's concept and architecture more in context as the music progressed.  Now I really like this slower orchestral intro.  The Staatskapelle are flawless in execution, really beautiful...I especially applaud the harp player.  Boulez's reading is serious and wieghty...philosopical even.  The soloists and choirs sound beautiful and transparent.  The ending is glorious, huge, and warm in sound.  I can hear tam tams just fine, they're not overly loud, but they're there.  The ending is one of the most satisfying I've heard (admittedly, I haven't heard alot of M8's)...especially the rich embracing warmth of the orchestra.  I feel Boulez nails the ending, bringing much satisfaction.  If only this were SACD.  Yet, next to my favorite Inbal, Bernstein (VPO/DG) and Maazel M8's, I'd say this is right up there in great sound (alot of details captured), concept, playing and interpretation.

On second hearing it was even more powerful. 

Now on to the Bertini M8!  I have a feeling this is going to be great too.

--Leo
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 04:31:44 PM by Leo K »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk