Author Topic: A new complete M10th (Cooke version) recording is due soon  (Read 5408 times)

Offline John Kim

A new complete M10th (Cooke version) recording is due soon
« on: November 30, 2007, 07:37:49 PM »
MAHLER Symphony No. 10. Performing version by Deryck Cooke. BBC Philharmonic / Gianandrea Noseda. Chandos

label: Chandos
format: CD

Composer: (click for full listing)
MAHLER, GUSTAV

predicted release date: 31/12/07

GUSTAV MAHLER (1860-1911)

Symphony No. 10

Prepared by Deryck Cooke, in collaboration with Berthold Goldschmidt, Colin Matthews, David Matthews

BBC Philharmonic / Gianandrea Noseda

Using the well-known realisation by Deryck Cooke, Gianandrea Noseda and the BBC Philharmonic here present a new studio recording of Mahler’s Tenth Symphony, which follows their performance at the 2007 Proms.  Reviewing the BBC Philharmonic concert, Michael Church wrote, ‘Its performance here was masterly, with Noseda letting the textures breathe and grow, and permitting the extraordinary instrumental dramas of the finale to run their vivid course’.

Mahler’s deeply personal Tenth Symphony deals with death, redemption, and salvation and is seen by many as a farewell to life. Left as a single Adagio plus fragments of four further movements, it was realised for performance by the Mahler / Bruckner expert Deryck Cooke and premiered at the Proms in 1964. Cooke called his realisation ‘a performing version of the draft for the Tenth Symphony’ and was always concerned to stress that it was in no sense a completion, since only Mahler himself could have completed the work. Symphony No. 10 has since become an established part of the repertoire alongside Mahler’s completed symphonies.

Gianandrea Noseda and the BBC Philharmonic have performed Mahler’s symphonies on many occasions, and it has been noted that Noseda ‘conducts with breathtaking dynamism’ (The Guardian). This is the first time that their interpretation of a Mahler symphony has been preserved on disc. 

Chandos CHAN10456

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: A new complete M10th (Cooke version) recording is due soon
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 08:03:25 PM »
I will check this recording out, but I feel I have enough Cooke recordings...I wish the Carpenter or the S/M completions were performed and recorded more.

--Leo

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 06:22:05 AM »
Litton is quite sufficient for the Carpenter version. But a fully professional recording is badly needed for the Samale/Mauzzuca version. And as much as I don't care for the Joe Wheeler version, I can't help but feel that somebody could turn in a far better job than Naxos did on theirs'. I'd prefer to see another Cooke version without the dabblings of the Matthews brothers - an earlier version, in other words. I'm also quite curious as to just how far Hans Wollschlaeger actually got, before withdrawing his version.

Barry
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 07:10:32 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 08:40:10 PM »
I will check this recording out, but I feel I have enough Cooke recordings...I wish the Carpenter or the S/M completions were performed and recorded more.

--Leo

Hi,

FYI, the S/M completion will be given its première performance in the Netherlands next month, by the Arnhem Philharmonic Orchestra (as the Gelders Orkest calls itself on international cd-releases) with Martin Sieghart. IIRC, Sieghart also conducted the world première of this version.
Last year, this combination played Das Lied von der Erde, with Christianne Stotijn and Donald Litaker, and it was recorded by Exton. Hopefully they'll issue a recording of this M10 as well.
I will be attending one of the concerts...

Freddy

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 09:21:19 PM »
Freddy, thanks for this news!

This bodes well for a SACD release from Exton of a S/M M10!!!

--Leo

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 08:17:51 AM »
AWESOME! . This means that neither S/M or Sieghart have given up on this version. If it turns out decent, I'm sure it'll get recorded.

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 04:21:08 PM »
Oh yes, this would be exciting news if it gets recorded and released on SACD.  I am keeping my fingers crossed  :)
Scott

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 11:25:36 AM »
I know the orchestra has a contract with Exton, saying they have to record a cd for them once every year. As far as I know, they've yet to record one in 2007...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk