Author Topic: Mackerras in Mahler  (Read 4764 times)

Offline stillivor

Mackerras in Mahler
« on: December 28, 2007, 11:54:21 AM »
  I played Mackerras's M5 last night, and thought it marvellous. Maybe I'm too easily pleased, tho' the Penguin Guide rates it, too.

In my 3rd M cycle, Mackerras did the 6th, and that was impressive as well.

I haven't heard his M1 yet.

Do you have a view on Mackerras conducting Mahler?

Ivor

Offline John Kim

Re: Mackerras in Mahler
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 06:53:42 PM »
I have his M6th and like it. Direct, but well played and well structures with a strong sense of momentum.

John,

Offline Amphissa

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 01:33:07 AM »

I consider Mackerras perhaps the most under-appreciated conductor ever. His recordings are consistently good-to-very good, and some of them are really quite insightful. An example of recordings by Mackerras that are different and interesting are his recordings of the Brahms symphonies with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra. It may not be a first choice, but it is so different that it is a good complement to whatever that first choice might be. His Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade is very good, with excellent audio quality to boot. His Rachmaninoff Symphony 3 is worth hearing. So, even though I've not heard his Mahler yet, it is no surprise that it is good.

"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Offline sbugala

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 01:56:13 AM »
I like him a lot, too.  In my book, he's one of the best. I don't know his Mahler, but I have yet to hear an awful disc from him. That's quite an achievement, if you think about it.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 05:09:08 AM »
I like all three Mackerras Mahler recordings very much. That said, I own just the M6 at this point. But I could very easily live the rest of my life owning only his M5 - it's that good.

The 6th doesn't have an expo. repeat, but that's not a huge issue with me. I'm also not a big fan of the reinstated third hammerstroke. But again, that just ain't a deal breaker with me either. It's still really good, regardless.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk