Author Topic: Mahler Gifts  (Read 6885 times)

Offline mahler09

Mahler Gifts
« on: December 24, 2010, 04:04:04 PM »
What Mahler- related gifts did you receive for the holidays?
(I know it might be a bit early, but it might be fun to see as we find out!)

Offline waderice

Re: Mahler Gifts
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 06:11:55 PM »
Not to be a "Grinch" on this, but I'm rather sure I won't receive any.  Reason: If most of us are like some of the frequent posters on this forum, uninformed individuals giving Mahler gifts to finicky Mahler aficionados will be smart to best leave alone, as the possibilities in giving one or more particular Mahler gifts and the recipient being unsatisfied are rather high, unless the recipient has specifically stated what particular Mahler gifts are desired.  Obviously, anyone who posts after me will most likely be a happy recipient, for I believe anyone dissatisfied with a Mahler gift wouldn't want the giver to possibly find out they weren't happy with what they received.

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 09:33:20 PM »
I gave myself the Zinman M10 (RCA) and the Ashkenazy/DSO Berlin M3 (Decca Eloquence) by ordering them from Presto (cheap shipping costs). Someday, I may have a custom Mahler t-shirt made (I'd rather have a "hoodie").
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 01:39:21 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline waderice

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 12:50:52 PM »
Someday, I may have a custom Mahler t-shirt made (I'd rather have a "hoodie").

The booklet in the Carnegie Hall/Sony reissue of the NYPO/Bernstein cycle has a photo of Bernstein wearing what appears to either be a long-sleeve tee shirt or sweatshirt with Mahler's head decaled thereon.  So I presume that there is a decal somewhere of Mahler that can be transferred to any clothing article, if you search long enough.

Now, that's a great Mahler gift, and there is little likelihood for the recipient to dislike that!

Wade

Offline Roffe

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »
I have a black T-shirt with Mahler's portrait in silver-grey on the front bought at the Amsterdam Mahler Feest in 1995. I do not know where to buy it now, but at least in 1995 such a T-shirt existed.

Roffe

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 09:48:46 PM »
To follow through with Wade's thoughts and Barry's practice, I splurged and got myself Peter Fulop's Mahler Discography. Wow! A major gift. It is so much more than I had expected: an enormous hardback book (the size of a city telephone book, 6.5 pounds), printed on heavy stock. It's a major accomplishment, the contents arranged by works, artists, recording labels, and timings. Mounted inside the back cover is a CD of what Peter calls the rarest Mahler recording: Paul van Kempen, Hilversum Radio Orchestra, Symphony No. 4, recorded December 28, 1949, in Hilversum.

Fulop "wishes to pay tribute to Mahler's music, on the 150th anniversary of the composer's birth and the 100th anniversary of his death." The publication of this book, a major addition to Mahler literature, was supported by the Kaplan Foundation. It is available from Peter Fulop's Mikrokosmos site (www.mikrokosmos.com).

But NOTE: until Dec. 28 it is available from DOREMI at a 25 per cent discount. Maybe I should have waited.

. & '

Offline mahler09

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 02:54:13 PM »
Actually, it's funny you mentioned a Mahler t-shirt- that's exactly what my sister got me!
Also, I got the EMI Mahler Complete Works box set and the score to M9 (now I can return the library's!).  I see what you mean though about having to be specific about what you want though.

Offline Toblacher

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 06:20:29 PM »
Back in May on a trip to Vienna, I treated myself to a few Mahler things from the gift shop at the Vienna State Opera.
A book on Mahler's Court Opera stint, a Mahler mousepad, and all the Mahler postcards available.

Unbeknownst to me, my wife bought up all the other trinkets availble to buy there and gave them to me as Christmas presents,
a Mahler tie clip, a small magnet, and a bookmark.

Offline Damfino

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 06:30:52 PM »
Not to be a "Grinch" on this, but I'm rather sure I won't receive any.  Reason: If most of us are like some of the frequent posters on this forum, uninformed individuals giving Mahler gifts to finicky Mahler aficionados will be smart to best leave alone, as the possibilities in giving one or more particular Mahler gifts and the recipient being unsatisfied are rather high, unless the recipient has specifically stated what particular Mahler gifts are desired.  
Wade

Those are my thoughts exactly. Anyone trying to get me anything by Mahler, Beethoven or Sinatra will have a difficult time getting me something I don't already have or would want.

On that note, I got myself the Levine partial cycle. My very first Mahler purchase was Levine's M1 LP; and I used to have his M3, M5 and M9 on LP. It's about time I got this CD set at a great price.

Offline waderice

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 08:13:48 PM »
Back in May on a trip to Vienna, I treated myself to a few Mahler things from the gift shop at the Vienna State Opera.
A book on Mahler's Court Opera stint, a Mahler mousepad, and all the Mahler postcards available.

Unbeknownst to me, my wife bought up all the other trinkets available to buy there and gave them to me as Christmas presents,
a Mahler tie clip, a small magnet, and a bookmark.

I was at the Vienna Opera gift shop in late September, and bought the book on Mahler's Court Opera career you mention.  My wife was with me when I bought it.  Hopefully you weren't around when your wife bought you the other Mahler trinkets, otherwise your Christmas present from your wife would be anticlimactic.

Wade

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 10:29:46 PM »
Someday, I may have a custom Mahler t-shirt made (I'd rather have a "hoodie").

I have a custom license plate bracket for my car that says "Mahler Grooves" on the top and "Gustav Mahler" on the bottom.  I had thought about actually getting a personalized license plate with "Mahler" on it but instead decided on my beloved college team  -- the Iowa Hawkeyes (HAWKIA)
Scott

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk