Author Topic: why I'm going to get the EMI complete Mahler edition  (Read 8257 times)

Offline barry guerrero

why I'm going to get the EMI complete Mahler edition
« on: April 16, 2010, 10:50:02 PM »
I was looking at the EMI Mahler box at the EMI site. Wow! There are a ton of songs and song cycles with the greatest names in Mahlerdom: Christa Ludwig; Janet Baker; D. Fischer-Dieskau; Karneus (forget her first name, but she's good). It's going to have the Fisch-Diesk "Songs Of A Wayfahrer" with Furtwaengler; the "Ruckert Songs" with Baker/Barbirolli; the "KTL" with Ferrier/Walter; the famous Szell/LSO "DKW". Then there's the classic Klemperer "DLvdE" with Ludwig and Wunderlich. What's not to like? I also think that the selections for the symphonies are really sensible.

I have Klemperer's "live" Bavarian R.S.O. M2 (w/ Janet Baker), but not the studio one. The studio version is being included in the box. Rattle's M3 is much better than most people think, aside for the relatively fast ending (which doesn't bother me so much). It's rather ingenious to include the Horenstein/LPO M4 (far better than the Welser-Most, in my opinion). The Tennstedt M5 will be the "live" 1988 one. I like Barbirolli's studio M6 more than his famous M5. And, Tennstedt's studio M8 is far better than many people think (the Rattle 8th would be a good one also). I would have preferred that EMI used Rattle's Berlin remake for M9, but Barbirolli's fits on a single disc. Besides, they are including Rattle's perfectly fine Berlin M10 (and I assume that it will have been remastered, which it could use).

Seriously, I think this was much better thought out than the Universal one that flies under the DG flag. Cheaper too.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 02:36:53 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: why I'm going to get the EMI complete Mahler edition
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:07:56 PM »
Indeed, it sounds like a great box. 

By the way, I still thank EMI for releasing the Bertini box.

--Todd

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 11:57:35 PM »
...By the way, I still thank EMI for releasing the Bertini box.

--Todd

Ditto: I revisited the M8 recently and think it magnificent.
Russ Smiley

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 01:15:26 AM »
yeah, I like how Bertini plows right through the Penitent women passages, and then takes the end of the symphony SUPER slow. Cool.

Offline oscar

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 10:47:57 AM »
Anyone knows if the recordings in this box will be remastered ?

best

Oscar.

Offline akiralx

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 11:05:27 PM »

There's also the CSO/Giulini M1 I think.  Yes, this box fits in well with my collection also, and I was thinking of getting the Barbirolli M6 anyway.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 12:22:24 AM »
In my opinion, the Gilulini is the best overall Mahler 1st from the Chicago Symphony.

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 10:11:40 PM »
I was looking at the EMI Mahler box at the EMI site. Wow! There are a ton of songs and song cycles with the greatest names in Mahlerdom: Christa Ludwig; Janet Baker; D. Fischer-Dieskau; Karneus (forget her first name, but she's good). It's going to have the Fisch-Diesk "Songs Of A Wayfahrer" with Furtwaengler; the "Ruckert Songs" with Baker/Barbirolli; the "KTL" with Ferrier/Walter; the famous Szell/LSO "DKW". Then there's the classic Klemperer "DLvdE" with Ludwig and Wunderlich. What's not to like? I also think that the selections for the symphonies are really sensible.

I have Klemperer's "live" Bavarian R.S.O. M2 (w/ Janet Baker), but not the studio one. The studio version is being included in the box. Rattle's M3 is much better than most people think, aside for the relatively fast ending (which doesn't bother me so much). It's rather ingenious to include the Horenstein/LPO M4 (far better than the Welser-Most, in my opinion). The Tennstedt M5 will be the "live" 1988 one. I like Barbirolli's studio M6 more than his famous M5. And, Tennstedt's studio M8 is far better than many people think (the Rattle 8th would be a good one also). I would have preferred that EMI used Rattle's Berlin remake for M9, but Barbirolli's fits on a single disc. Besides, they are including Rattle's perfectly fine Berlin M10 (and I assume that it will have been remastered, which it could use).

Seriously, I think this was much better thought out than the Universal one that flies under the DG flag. Cheaper too.

I agree with much of your sentiment.  However, I'm not completely sold on the entire collection of symphonies.  I've never been a big fan of Klemperer's studio M2.  His live one is certainly among the all-time greats -- as is Rattle's M2 -- and either of those would be far preferable in my mind.  Of course, if you don't have the studio Klemperer in your collection then it makes this box more attractive to you. 

The Horenstein M4?  Is that simply the only Horernstein Mahler on the EMI label  -- and it is included for that reason?  I'm just not a fan of it. 

I don't have anything harsh to say about Barbirolli's M6 or M9.  I can understand why the M6 is famous (and hence included in the box), but I rarely want to listen to it myself.  I honestly don't remember much about the M9.  My memory tells me that it's a rather old-style version with a quick finale and an R-B movement that fails to catch fire. 

And finally, EMI has one of the all time great M8's -- Bertini!  The Tennstedt one pales by comparison. 

All that said, I like the idea of the labels releasing best of collections of this sort.  I just wish they'd ask for my input!   ;)
Scott

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 03:49:31 AM »
Russ Smiley

Offline Dyolf

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 09:25:17 PM »

I've never been a big fan of Klemperer's studio M2.  His live one is certainly among the all-time greats -- as is Rattle's M2 -- and either of those would be far preferable in my mind. 
And finally, EMI has one of the all time great M8's -- Bertini!  The Tennstedt one pales by comparison. 

I totally agree with you regarding the Klemperer M2 live, but his studio is actually not very different from the live one overall.
Regarding the Tennstedt M8, this have to be one of most underrated recordings of all time. OK, he did'nt assemble all the choruses that most other do for this mammoth performance, but the ones he got sings all the better, and the soloists is among the best in any M8. Also, what he does better than any other, has something to do with coherence. Everything seems to be taken at the correct speed and amplitude. His and the Sinopoli M8 stands out.
SB

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk