Author Topic: for Giulini/CSO M9 fans . . .  (Read 8622 times)

Offline barry guerrero

for Giulini/CSO M9 fans . . .
« on: May 28, 2011, 02:01:35 AM »
For those of you who enjoy Giulini's Chicago Mahler 9, it'll be reissued again in a 5 cd box set called "Giulini In America II" (vol. 2). It includes all of his Chicago recordings for DG:  Mahler 9, Schubert 9, Dvorak 8 & 9, Pictures at an Exhibition, the Britten "Serenade for tenor, horn and strings", etc.

The release date will be July 5 in the U.S.

Offline vvrinc

Re: for Giulini/CSO M9 fans . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 08:21:27 PM »
Very good news, thank you.

I have volume 1, with LA Philharmonic, and it contains some terrific performances. Among them are the marvelous Schumann 3rd Symphony, Brahms’ 1st & 2nd Symphonies and the Debussy La Mer. The EMI CSO recordings were a welcome issue as well.

Offline Roland Flessner

Giulini/CSO M9: string tone?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 04:12:48 AM »
I bought the original vinyl issue shortly after it was released, and I now have the DG Double release. I'm curious about the release in "The Originals" series, because David Hurwitz's review on ArkivMusic said that some "extraneous noise" had been removed.

I never noticed anything "extraneous" about the earlier issues, but both have weird string tone, almost a pulsing sound, in places. I remember a reviewer in High Fidelity mentioning it on the vinyl issue. I'm curious if anyone has heard the remastered Originals release and could compare the string sound.

This is a performance of no small virtues and I've always liked it, but the string sound renders it almost unlistenable.

Offline James Meckley

Re: Giulini/CSO M9: string tone?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 04:48:20 AM »
I bought the original vinyl issue shortly after it was released, and I now have the DG Double release. I'm curious about the release in "The Originals" series, because David Hurwitz's review on ArkivMusic said that some "extraneous noise" had been removed.

I never noticed anything "extraneous" about the earlier issues, but both have weird string tone, almost a pulsing sound, in places. I remember a reviewer in High Fidelity mentioning it on the vinyl issue. I'm curious if anyone has heard the remastered Originals release and could compare the string sound.

This is a performance of no small virtues and I've always liked it, but the string sound renders it almost unlistenable.

The "pulsing string tone" which you mention is almost surely the noise Mr. Hurwitz was referring to in his review. The Giulini/CSO Mahler 9 was notorious for that odd effect, which plagued all issues prior to the "DG Originals" release. I think it was the violas or second violins which were most affected—I'd have to re-listen to be sure, and I've already jettisoned all my defective copies.

I'm pleased to tell you that the problem has been completely eliminated on the DG Originals release ©2000 (463 609-2), a two-disc set which also includes Schubert's Symphony No. 8. You may buy with confidence.

James
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:58:14 AM by James Meckley »
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline John Kim

Re: Giulini/CSO M9: string tone?
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 03:29:43 PM »

The "pulsing string tone" which you mention is almost surely the noise Mr. Hurwitz was referring to in his review. The Giulini/CSO Mahler 9 was notorious for that odd effect, which plagued all issues prior to the "DG Originals" release. I think it was the violas or second violins which were most affected—I'd have to re-listen to be sure, and I've already jettisoned all my defective copies.

I'm pleased to tell you that the problem has been completely eliminated on the DG Originals release ©2000 (463 609-2), a two-disc set which also includes Schubert's Symphony No. 8. You may buy with confidence.

James
I am not so sure.

I have both the Galleria & Original versions and to my ears they sound - as far as the 'pulsing string' - sound the same. I don't think it's eliminated in the latter version if it was in the first version, or vice versa. In fact, I much prefer the sound on the Galleria because it has more body and ambience than the Originals edition. Whatever the Originals CD has improved upon, I'd say it's minimal and it has lost the body and ambience of the first edition, I am afraid. You see, you can't violate the law of conservation of energy! ::) - You gain something, you lose something else.

John,
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:58:04 PM by John Kim »

Offline Russell

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:39:46 PM »
Well, count me as another one who does *not* hear the pulsating string tone in 'The Originals' edition, whereas it was pretty obvious (and annoying) on the LP and Galleria CD editions.  I do admit that the overall sound quality of the Originals edition isn't very good--it's a bit lightweight and bright--but it's better than hearing those pulsating strings...... ;D.  Still one of my very favorite M9 recordings, though.

Russell

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 12:45:24 AM »
what he said ;-)
Russ Smiley

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 03:58:09 AM »
Interesting comments, and thanks to all. I don't think I will bother to order The Originals release, but if I stumble on it at a used record store, I'd probably bite.

Offline akiralx

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 12:12:26 AM »
Just listened to this in the 'Giulini in America' CSO boxset, and cannot hear any string pulsing sound.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 05:11:53 PM »
I concur on the Giulini/LAPO/DG Brahms 1st and 2nd. They are simply the best recordings of these works.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk