Author Topic: M10 Adagio critical edition (?)  (Read 3653 times)

Offline barry guerrero

M10 Adagio critical edition (?)
« on: April 17, 2015, 05:10:35 PM »
I'm calling upon those who may really know this topic. I've been looking online to see if there's a NEW critical edition to the Mahler 10th Adagio. There doesn't appear to be one. There lots of sources for - and references to - Universal's publication of the 1964 critical edition put together by Erwin Ratz. But I know that Frans Bouwman and others have worked on making numerous corrections. To my ears, it sounds like the Barshai completion incorporates numerous small corrections in the Adagio. Does anybody know if that is, indeed, the case?

I believe that Bouwman had made his corrections available online at one point, but I might just be imagining that.

I listened again to the Barshai version with Vladimir Ashkaenazy conducting (Exton, I think). The first movement is the best I've ever heard it, but I think Barshai makes a mess of the remaining four movements. His orchestration is overly busy and 'fussy' sounding, without addressing what the big-picture issues within the last four movements. Just one person's opinion.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 07:33:29 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline James Meckley

Re: M10 Adagio critical edition (?)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 06:44:49 PM »
I've been looking online to see if there's a NEW critical edition to the Mahler 10th Adagio. There doesn't appear to be one. There lots of sources for - and references to - Universal's publication of the 1964 critical edition put together by Erwin Ratz.

I own the 1964 UE Critical Edition of the Mahler 10 Adagio and had never looked further into the matter. However, I recently noticed some references on the Universal Edition website to a new 2010 Critical Edition. UE are now offering a score described as "a new revised edition based on the Critical Edition of 2010." It retains the same catalog number as the 1964 Ratz edition (UE13880) and the ISBN number is 978-3-7024-1272-2. The wording of the UE notice suggests that the 2010 Critical Edition may have been originally published by someone else (Peters? IGMG?) but I've been unable to find the source. Also, there's no mention of an editor.

http://www.universaledition.com/sheet-music-and-more/adagio-from-the-10th-symphony-fuer-orchester-mahler-gustav-ue13880

At €25.95 it might be worth ordering just to find out how it differs from the 1964 edition.

James
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 11:19:37 AM by James Meckley »
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

Re: M10 Adagio critical edition (?)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 07:33:49 AM »
Thank you James - most helpful.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk