Author Topic: New England Conservatory to Perform 1889 Budapest Version of M1  (Read 13094 times)

Offline James Meckley

New England Conservatory to Perform 1889 Budapest Version of M1
« on: September 23, 2011, 06:46:56 PM »
On Monday night (9/26), Hugh Wolff and the New England Conservatory Philharmonia will give the American première of the earliest known version of Mahler's first symphony, the 1889 Budapest version, titled "Symphonic Poem in Two Parts." This should not be confused with the 1893 Hamburg version, of which there are several recordings available (Wakasugi, Ruud, de Vriend, Hermus, and others). The location of Mahler's original autograph score (1888, Leipzig) which was the basis for both 1889 and 1893, is currently unknown and thought to be lost.

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2011/09/23/an_american_premiere_of_mahlers_first_the_first_version/

http://www.necmusic.edu/mahler

Let's hope this version receives a good recording soon.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline Roffe

Re: New England Conservatory to Perform 1889 Budapest Version of M1
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 07:38:11 PM »
Let's hope this version receives a good recording soon.

James

I hope so too. Looks like it's gonna be an intresting fall in New England.

Roffe

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 02:11:02 AM »
Very cool! Thanks for posting about this.

Offline mike bosworth

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 10:25:06 AM »
I would be most interested in hearing the Finale, in which in this earliest surviving copyist's manuscript the recapitulation begins with a more or less verbatim repeat of the opening of the movement.

Mike Bosworth

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 02:32:50 AM »
A couple of additional bits of information:

1) It's been announced that the NEC Philharmonia performance of the 1889 Budapest version is going to be recorded and CDs will be made available to the general public.

2) The recording of the 1893 Hamburg version that I mentioned above with Anthony Hermus conducting the Hagen Philharmonic Orchestra on the Acousence Classics label should be avoided at all costs. It is quite possibly the worst recording I've ever heard of anything.

James

Offline Roffe

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 05:46:53 AM »
I have the Ruud recording on Simax of the 1893 Hamburg version (It also contains a recording of the Piano Quartet). That's pretty good, but a little hard to find, but available from amazon.co.uk vendors for about GBP 10 (+ P&P).

Roffe

Amazon.com review (but the recording is out of print):

5.0 out of 5 stars Original Version of Mahler Symphony Gloriously Performed!!, November 5, 2000
By Darin Tysdal (Bloomington, MN 55420) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    This review is from: Titan: Symphonic Poem In Symphonic Form / Piano Quartet in a Minor (Audio CD)
This piece is actually called Titan: Symphonic Poem In Symphonic Form. This does include Blumine and the rest of the work is in the earliest surviving orchestration. Wyn Morris made the first recording of this version, and as that is out of print, this one admirably fills the bill. This is then the real thing, not like those recordings that just throw in Blumine into the text of the revised version. There are many little differences between the two versions and comparing them is fascinating. The big difference is the textures which are sparser and not as big. Clarity is the watchword here, and Ruud delivers. The big moments come out with a will, and are very well done. Very recommendable, along with the only existing movement from Mahler's early Piano Quintet. Great annotations and wonderful sound. The playing is wonderful. Recommended with enthusiasm!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:51:15 AM by Roffe »

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 10:45:40 PM »
I have the Ruud recording on Simax of the 1893 Hamburg version (It also contains a recording of the Piano Quartet). That's pretty good, but a little hard to find...

Agreed. The Ruud in fine, as is the Wakasugi. The Hermus is absolutely dreadful. I've not heard the de Vriend, but it's gotten good reviews.

Glad to see the Gustav Mahler Board back up and running!

James

Offline Roffe

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 05:22:44 AM »
You can say that again. I got the hickups when I tried to log in yesterday evening and was met by a site with a message that the server was hacked by some people in Bangladesh. I was afraid that it was gonna affect my computer too, but I don't think it has.

Roffe

Offline hrandall

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »
Greetings from Boston, just outside Jordan Hall! I've got ticket in hand for both the Kaplan presentation and the 1st sympony performance this evening. I'm sure it will be a memorable evening. Report to follow tomorrow!

Cheers!
Herb

Offline hrandall

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 05:13:22 PM »
I'm working on a post of my impressions of last night's performance, and in the meantime just noticed the concert is already up at InstantEncore:

http://necmusic.edu/instant-encore

Enjoy!

Herb

Offline Roffe

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 09:14:04 AM »
I'm working on a post of my impressions of last night's performance, and in the meantime just noticed the concert is already up at InstantEncore:

http://necmusic.edu/instant-encore

Enjoy!

Herb

Watch out! The possibility of listening or downloading seems to expire on 4 Oct 2011 2:09 AM. So hurry if you are interested.

Roffe

Offline Don

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 11:53:17 AM »
it seems to still be available, through 10/8, maybe that is the time each individual has to download. Not familiar with "Instant Encore" but I signed up to listen to this since I am preparing an essay on "Blumine" for the Kansas City Symphony's January performance of the "Blumine" movement.
M10 Fanatic!

Offline Damfino

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 05:27:48 PM »
You know, I've never heard the Blumine movement as none of my recordings of M1 have it . Am I missing much?

Dave

Offline waderice

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 06:39:08 PM »
You know, I've never heard the Blumine movement as none of my recordings of M1 have it . Am I missing much?

Dave

It's a quiet, short movement with trumpet solo.  Think of it as about a five-minute, slow-tempo version of the second movement of M3.  I can't say that it adds anything of significance to the symphony, but that's my opinion.  Nevertheless, it's worth hearing, and if anything, at least one recording of the symphony with that movement included should be in every Mahlerian's library.  My one recording of it is Ormandy/Philly.

Wade

Offline Roffe

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 05:27:33 AM »
I don't think the Blumine movement should be heard together with the final version of M1 (like in Ozawas BSO recording on DG from ca 1980), since the orchestration of it then "sticks out" too much compared to the rest of the symphony. Blumine is best enjoyed together with the 1893 Hamburg version (of which James had exellent suggestions for recordings earlier in this thread) or the 1889 Budapest version (whiuch can be obtained from Instant-Encore).

Roffe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk