Author Topic: Czech Phil signs onto Pentatone, Bychkov to record full Mahler cycle  (Read 7250 times)

Offline erikwilson7

Re: Czech Phil signs onto Pentatone, Bychkov to record full Mahler cycle
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 10:54:07 PM »
And a brief video teaser:

https://youtu.be/EbWwCiLykpI

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 10:57:46 PM »
Oh, another discovery. It seems the PHYSICAL release is due for April 8, but the digital download is available now from Pentatone’s site(?!).

https://www.pentatonemusic.com/product/mahler-symphony-no-4-3/?fbclid=IwAR1ot3ncEiZxPb9i1B3HEc3cnCD3uX5r__DrHwG4B3SlW7yOY8bQhRsq1K0

Haven’t listened to anything but the durations look standard.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 08:36:54 AM »
Sorry to be so superficial, but what a terrible looking cover!    .     .     .   Bychkov is doing M7 with the L.A. Phil. in the last weekend of March.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 01:35:40 PM »
I'll be picking this up as it is released. The Czech Philharmonic is one of my favorite orchestras. Semyon Bychkov also brought my my local orchestra, the Grand Rapids Symphony, to it's highest point in their history. The recorded sound should be excellent, too. I'm actually surprised that this is the first Mahler cycle done by Pentatone.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 02:07:54 PM »
Pentatone's quality is very high. They produced the M4 with Gustavo Gimeno and Luxembourg (feat. Miah Persson) a few years back, and it remains one of my favorites of all.
I don't really know of Bychkov's Mahler credentials besides his old M3, which is quite good but very long. Anyone have other, more recent insight on his way with Mahler's music?

And regarding the Czech Phil, I'm very excited to hear them in Mahler again. The Neumann cycle is very hit-and-miss for me, but when it's a hit it's a home run. They have such an authentic sound, and it's perfect for Mahler's music.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 06:15:42 PM »
I saw Bychkov give an outstanding M6 with the Vienna Phil. in Berkeley, Ca. I liked much more than the famous Bernstein one, which I also 'saw' on tour at Carnegie Hall. There's a very good DVD of "DLvdE" with Bychkov conducting from Cologne (I think). Tor Kerstin and Waltraud Meier were vocalists, I think. I have a burned copy of it some place.

I think Bychkov is a very good conductor, and is well respected as a guest conductor when he's in San Francisco. However, he doesn't 'pick up the tempo' when making recordings. As you might recall, Fritz Reiner said that you should make recordings roughly 10 or 15 percent faster than you do your live performances. I think he had something there.

Interesting factoid on the Bychkov/V.P.O. M6:  he was going to conduct it in andante/scherzo order, but changed his mind to scherzo/andante order at the last moment. Good for him - it worked fabulously. I believe that that is very possibly what happened at Mahler's own last performance of M6 in Vienna. There was a reliable witness to that happening.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 10:43:12 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 06:37:14 PM »
I prefer the andante second, but I’ll take it either way. I’m not picky, and they both work (if the conductor makes it work).

I hope Bychkov does scherzo second then, if it worked out to well.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 06:48:21 PM »
I am so thrilled to hear the news. His M3rd with WDR Sinfonie Koln was outstanding. I'd be curious to hear his VPO M6th!

Alas, it seems these recordings will be released on CDs, not on hybrid SACDs.

John
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 07:05:53 PM by John Kim »

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 10:49:40 PM »
John, if you do find a 'pirate' of an M6 with Bychkov/V.P.O., it might very well be in andante/scherzo order as I'm sure Berkeley wasn't the first stop in their tour. You would want a recording from a better sounding venue than Zellerbach in Berkeley anyway. It's ONLY saving grace as a concert venue, is that it has a Myer computerized sound system in there. Those Myer systems have performed miracles in many challenged venues around the world.

Why would Pentatone not want to issue a full Mahler series in sacd hybrid, when their entire line is centered around sacd hybrids? I don't get that.

Regardless, here's Chen Reiss singing Mahler 4/IV with Markus Stenz conducting:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5D0nAGSkvE
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 11:00:30 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 11:07:24 PM »
She sounds very good, Barry. Thanks for sharing. I've recently come to love the Jakub Hrůša recording with Bamberg featuring Anna Lucia Richter. She is so amazing in the finale.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 06:00:28 AM »
By the way, I have a Bychkov/Czech Phil. "Manfred" Symphony (Tchaik.) on Decca that's really very good.

Offline Last_Evolution

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2022, 12:00:19 PM »
You can download Bychkov/Czech Philharmonic here:
Shostakovich - symphony 7:
https://uloz.to/file/VEo76jff6t3W/ceska-filharmonie-zahajovaci-koncert-126-sezony-ts#!ZJL3ZmR2ZwR1AwtmMGOwAGEwLGN5L1pmqQMJAmIfnUuHpwIyBN==
Click on "Stahnout pomalu zdarma" (Slow download for free).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 12:03:17 PM by Last_Evolution »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2022, 07:54:16 PM »
I can't download it. It is taking forever.

John

Offline Last_Evolution

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk