Author Topic: Czech Phil signs onto Pentatone, Bychkov to record full Mahler cycle  (Read 7251 times)

Offline sbugala

Re: Czech Phil signs onto Pentatone, Bychkov to record full Mahler cycle
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2022, 03:52:09 PM »
Bychkov also led the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra in the M6, and it was incredible. The hammerblows set a new standard for me. You can see they used a big box, and the percussionist had to climb a ladder to strike it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piCs75zRom0 

Bychkov did the inner movements in S/A order, after changing his mind as he did in Berkley. I know there's debate...but I prefer it that way.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2022, 06:08:27 PM »
By the way, John and everyone else, Spotify has a Bychkov/N.Y. Phil. M6 that was never issued on a disc (I don't think). It's good, but not as good as the one I remember with the V.P.O. The New York Phil. sounds as though it still carried the influence of late Lorin Maazel.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 11:38:15 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2022, 06:39:59 PM »
I see that M6 on Spotify, but the album cover is showing Alan Gilbert conducting. The song info shows Bychkov. I wonder which one is right.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 08:08:03 PM »
I could download the Bychkov/CPO Shosy 7th, but the first few seconds of I. are missing.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2022, 11:47:22 PM »
Going back up to the Bychkov/S.L.S.O. M6 video, there's no demo of the box! When I last played M6 with Redwood Symphony, we had a box that was just about that size. However, the wood was too thin and it wasn't reinforced in any way. It just sounded a bit too 'thuddy' or something. My understanding is that it had been a shipping container. Also, I think it helps to have a hammer that has a relatively bigger surface area - just as it helps to have a tam-tam mallet with more surface area than usual.

And speaking of the S.L.S.O., I saw an OUTSTANDING M5 with them and David Robertson (conductor), on tour, also in Zellerbach in Berkeley. It was as good as any I've ever heard it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 10:54:23 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline sbugala

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2022, 05:10:28 PM »
Barry,
    I know. I wish they would've demonstrated it, too. The thuds were incredible. It reminded me of the Pows on the original Mario Brothers arcade game. I think anyone standing up would've been knocked upside down. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh0_sYvBPP4

I think I mentioned it at the time...but I foolishly passed on hearing that M5 with Robertson. I've probably heard that work live more than any other Mahler Symphony...including when the SFSO did it here on tour with MTT in the 90s. You've made me regret me skipping it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 03:37:26 PM by sbugala »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2022, 06:21:30 PM »
I'm listening to Bychkov/NYPO M6th. MARVELOUS!

John

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2022, 06:32:07 PM »
Again, I hope it’s Bychkov and not Gilbert as the album cover displays. Anyone else seeing this mix-up?

Offline John Kim

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2022, 07:00:34 PM »
Erik,

I must say, it is more in the Bychkov style than in the Gilbert style.

It sounds like so.

John

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 07:13:17 PM »
I'm thinking so too. Gilbert is more "middle of the road."

Offline John Kim

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2022, 07:57:44 PM »
From what I can hear, it's definitely Bychkov, not Gilbert. It is a GREAT M6th. I am really impressed and eagerly look forward to the Bychkov/CPO Mahler cycle.

John

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2022, 08:03:33 PM »
I'm liking Bychkov, but I'm most interested in how good Pentatone's engineering will be. Also I'm very excited to hear the CPO do Mahler.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2022, 09:35:22 PM »
I think the sound quality will most likely be very good. I'm sure the cycle be a worth while addition. It looks like he's conducting M3 and M7 in various places, so perhaps those will be among the first releases. I already have an excellent Czech Phil. M7 with E. Inbal conducting (Exton). They've recorded it five times already: Neumann, Ashkenazy, Kobayashi, Macal and Inbal. The Macal seems to be easy to find. On the other hand, I've never been as crazy about Neumann's M3 as many of the critics of the day were. I'm looking forward to a new and, hopefully, improved M3 from the C.P.O. For the time being, yet another really good M4 will have to do.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2022, 09:51:05 PM »
Of the Neumann cycle on Supraphon, I'm fond of 1, 2, 3, 4... and maybe 8. I mostly admire it for how characteristically unique the CPO sounds.

As far ass Neumann himself goes, I like his earlier stuff with Leipzig. That early M7 is very good.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2022, 10:30:12 PM »
Yes, exactly. I like Neumann's Leipzig M6 also. I forgot to mention that K.-I. Kobayashi recorded a very good M3 with the Czech Phil. (Exton). However, as is often the case with Kobayashi, he hummed and grunted along with the music throughout much of the recording. I'm guessing that's why Kobayashi has never made a dent in the U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken%27ichiro_Kobayashi
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 10:32:55 PM by barryguerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk