Author Topic: Zinman M10 on RCA (Carpenter version)  (Read 4561 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Zinman M10 on RCA (Carpenter version)
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:07:33 AM »
I have a copy of Zinman's new M10 on order from Presto (England). However, I did get a chance to hear a burnt copy of it just yesterday - twice! In my opinion, this is a very special Mahler recording. It differs somewhat from the fine Litton/D.S.O. (Delos) one in that it's slightly slower overall (but proportioned much the same), and it's much more detailed in respect to just exactly what Carpenter does in his orchestration. Litton may be slightly better with the overall flow of the work (emphasis on slightly), as well as being better at disguising just how radically different Carpenter's pastiche composing and orchestration actually is. Zinman, on the other hand, is unapologetic (sp?) about this being a Mahler/Carpenter joint venture.

The sound is absolutely stunning on this, and the playing is almost as refined and confident as it is with the underrated Dallas Symphony (keep in mind that this is an extremely difficult score).

For those of you who are not already familiar with the Carpenter version, try to imagine a performing version that might be a collaberation between Alban Berg and Luciano Berio. In other words, I hear elements of both composers in Carpenter's work.

Overall, this release strikes me as a true labor-of-love from David Zinman, and I can fully understand why he might not want to bother with "Das Lied von der Erde" - much of Carpenter's version strikes me as having the same sort of quiet concentration and focus as "der Abschied" from "DLvdE" (then there are those Bergian outbursts from time to time, complete with independent timpani and bass drum parts). If you're at all curious, do try to give yourself a chance to hear it. While I'm not convinced that Carpenter has the final word in regards to Mahler 10, I'll be keeping both this and the Litton recordings.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Zinman M10 on RCA (Carpenter version)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 03:24:18 PM »
Thanks for the thoughtful and informative review Barry. I'm really looking forward to hearing this recording. I've been waiting, well, a lot of M10 fans have been waiting for a another recorded Carpenter, so to hear this review is just aces.

--Todd

Offline Zoltan

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 04:26:14 PM »
My copy has been shipped today. As I already mentioned I haven't heard the Carpenter version yet, so I'm very curious about it. Judging from what little I know of Berg, it is a very "busy" score? From the short samples on jpc, I could already note a few extra "lines" in the music and different instrumentation.

Offline Don

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 06:57:45 PM »
My copy has been shipped the 26th from MDT in the UK. Quite a bit cheaper than even Amazon or other US outlets. The Carpenter version is quite interesting and has been crying out for a superior recording. Hope this is it!
M10 Fanatic!

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 10:21:53 PM »
Thanks Barry for your warm report.

I was told that Georg Solti was preparing his own version of M10 and planned to conduct it towards the end of his life. I bet it might have been a great M10th as I think the piece perfectly might suited with his talent. What a lost opportunity! :o :'(

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 08:29:54 AM »
I don't think Solti had the brains to successfully pull off such a stunt, but that's just my own opinion. We'll never know. I can tell you that Solti's staff at the CSO felt very threatened by the adventurous and progressive programming that was going on with the Chicago Civic Orch. in those days. As you probably know, Gordon Peters - former principal of the CSO percussion section, and a former Pierre Monteux student - gave the world premiere of the Carpenter version with the Chicago Civic sometime in the latter '70s (I think it was). After Mr. Peters relinquished control of the Civic, the CSO saw to it that the Civic minded its own business, and stuck to training young musicians on far more conservative programming - over and over. But, as with the Eddie Mars character in Raymond Chandler's "The Big Sleep", I suppose Solti had nothing to do with any of that (?).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk