Author Topic: DH gives a very high rating for Schwarz/Mackay/RLPO/Artek M4th  (Read 3230 times)

Offline John Kim

GUSTAV MAHLER
Symphony No. 4
Maureen Mackay (soprano)

Royal Liverpool Philharmonic

Gerard Schwarz

Artek- 0052-2(CD)
Reference Recording - Bernstein (Sony); Previn (EMI); Levi (Telarc)

rating  9/7

This is a very fine live performance of Mahler's Fourth. Gerard Schwarz has many ideas about the music, and they work very well. Consider, for example, his adroit tempo adjustments in the first movement's third subject group, bringing out all of the music's playful character. In the scherzo he slows down dramatically for the trio sections, but justifies his choice by encouraging the woodwinds to project extra vividly, and they certainly rise to the occasion. The Adagio is aptly serene in the calm portions, anguished yet appropriately flowing in the minor-key variations. The "heaven opening" climax toward the end sounds grand, but not shrill.

Schwarz has found an excellent soloist in soprano Maureen Mackay, indeed one of the better singers to take the part. She has the right lightness of tone, the right innocence, and no feeling of strain in her upper register. The audience is very quiet, but for some reason the recording level is substantially higher in the scherzo than elsewhere, which is distracting. Still there's a lot to enjoy here, and if you know the symphony well you will surely relish many of the details that distinguish this performance and give it real personality.

--David Hurwitz

I told you this is a really good M4th, didn't I? ::) :D

This CD was originally issued on RLPO label and that's what I have. On the CD I don't recall having the problem that DH identified. I thought the recording quality was quite excellent, clear, well balanced, with good ambiance. I'll have to check it again.

John,

Offline barry guerrero

Re: DH gives a very high rating for Schwarz/Mackay/RLPO/Artek M4th
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 04:39:58 PM »
This is good news, indeed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk