Author Topic: A great upcoming release from RCO Live (Berg)  (Read 3968 times)

Offline barry guerrero

A great upcoming release from RCO Live (Berg)
« on: September 25, 2008, 05:03:02 PM »
Hi folks,

I've listened to an "advance" copy of Alban Berg's "Three Pieces for Orchestra" and "Lulu - Suite", performed by the Amsterdam Concertgebouw Orch. conducted by Danielle Gatti. This is really, REALLY good; and, in my goofy opinion, relates to Mahler at least somewhat. The "3 Pcs." are strongly influenced by the Mahler 6th - a work that Berg greatly admired - while the "Lulu Suite" (sans vocals, except for "Lulu's Lied") makes me think of the Mahler 9th. Berg greatly admired the first movement of the 9th. If you possess some tolerance for atonal music, this is about as good as it gets. I think you'll hear the influences of Mahler's darker, more pessimistic moments as well.

Barry
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 05:58:55 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: A great upcoming release from RCO Live (Berg)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 11:48:23 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Barry!  I am REAL excited about this release.

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 11:49:55 PM »
Great sound; great playing. I guess the conducting is good - who can tell with Berg's music?

neikenho7

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 04:09:09 AM »
From what I have heard from live broadcasts Gatti is the best conductor of Berg's Three Orchestral pieces out there, and he has conducted it a lot. I would expect the release to be excellent also.

Offline akiralx

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 09:08:09 AM »

This is an SACD too (I think all the RCO Live ones are).  I really like the Lulu Suite, the Rattle recording is the one I've got.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk