Author Topic: Rattle/BPO/EMI M9th (upcoming)  (Read 5785 times)

Offline John Kim

Rattle/BPO/EMI M9th (upcoming)
« on: May 19, 2007, 02:36:56 PM »
I heard Simon Rattle will rerecord M9th with BPO in the near future. Hope that EMI will support it with good sonics this time...

John,

Offline John Kim

Re: Rattle/BPO/EMI M9th (upcoming)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 05:16:56 PM »
Actually, the Rattle/VPO/EMI version was not recorded by the EMI engineers but by the Austrian Radio; when I sent an email to EMI criticizing the sonics they fingerpointed the Austrian Radio for the sound quality.

I liked Rattle interpretation but was turned off by the wretched sonics.

John,

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 05:28:32 PM »
Let me join you, John, in hoping the performance will be well recorded and released promptly. I'm not sure why, but I have always found Rattle to be interesting. Perhaps it's my lack of curly hair. :-\

. & '

Offline je-b

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 09:28:04 PM »
The Mahler Ninth is on the prorgamme for the opening concert of the BPO's next season (August 25th) and will then be performed a few days later at the Salzburg and Lucerne festivals. On October 25th, 26th, and 27th it will be on the programme of regular BPO "Philharmonie" concerts and I guess that EMI will record just these three evenings for the upcoming CD release. Based on these assumptions, I'd say we can expect the record to be finally available around Christmas time.
That's still quite a while...  ;) 
"Ich leb' allein in meinem Himmel,
 In meinem Lieben, in meinem Lied!"

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 03:43:45 AM »
Just what we need   .     .    .  yet another really great Berlin M9. I'd like to see the VPO truly get it right. They make more interesting sounds than the BPO, but the weight and darkness of the sound that they produce, seem to keep pulling their M9s down. Harding could pull a great one out of them - I think - but he's doing his with the Staatskapelle Dresden, I gather (which will be nice).

Anyway, I have a feeling that Leo's Kobayashi M9 is going to kick butt over a whole bunch of them.

Barry
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 03:46:08 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 05:57:59 PM »
Just what we need   .     .    .  yet another really great Berlin M9. I'd like to see the VPO truly get it right. They make more interesting sounds than the BPO, but the weight and darkness of the sound that they produce, seem to keep pulling their M9s down. Harding could pull a great one out of them - I think - but he's doing his with the Staatskapelle Dresden, I gather (which will be nice).

Anyway, I have a feeling that Leo's Kobayashi M9 is going to kick butt over a whole bunch of them.

Barry

Yes indeed, I think the Kobayashi M9 is quite an achievement...I working on the review now.

--Leo

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 04:19:36 AM »
I think an ideal M9th would be achieved by,

Ichiyoshi Inoue/BPO/EMI or VPO/DG

but have a high expectation for the Rattle's new version.

Also, it would be nice if SFSO can release De Waart's fabulous sounding concert from the early 80's. I'd die for that one which is probably the best all round M9th ever.,

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk