Author Topic: Sieghart/Arnhiem Phil. Orch. M6th  (Read 5036 times)

Offline John Kim

Sieghart/Arnhiem Phil. Orch. M6th
« on: May 28, 2007, 04:07:10 AM »
I finally got a copy of this much anticipated M6th recording. I've listened to it only once so far so I will make my review brief this time.

This is as close to my dream Mahler Sixth as I can imagine, on par with my other favorites - live Haitink/LSO, Levi/ASO/Telarc, Inoue/NJPO/Exton, and live Tennstedt/LPO/EMI. Timing-wise, it is a very expansive reading, close to the Tennstedt/LPO, but it doesn't have that conductor's trademark touches that emphasize neurotic, wild elements in the music. OTOH, it is extremely well thought-out, well played, and well recorded version. All the sections have proper tempo relationships and they all add up to a cohesive whole. Furthermore, the playing is very strong and sturdy, with no sense of exhaustion or boredom in the players. The 1st movt. starts in a properly heavy tempo but it does have a good momentum in the underlying pulse. The Alma theme is slightly slowed down to good effects (actually, I'd have liked it even better had it been slower!), while the middle section and the final coda are wonderfully mysterious and spontaneous. The Scherzo is not as really well coordinated as the Rattle, but changes in the mood and tempo are treated better than any other version I know. Then comes the Andante which at over 18 min. could have sounded boring but it doesn't thanks to the conductor's judicious tempo and a fine sense of forward motion. In fact, I scarcely felt 18 min. have passed by its end.

So, overall this M6th leaves me a very strong impression and makes me feel like coming back again and again. It is that good. The sound is equally excellent.

John

Offline John Kim

Re: Sieghart/Arnhiem Phil. Orch. M6th
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 04:16:04 AM »
...by the way, the Finale is also excellent. Clocking at over 33 min., once again it is Sieghart's ability to hold all the small pieces together without losing his focus during the long duration. The two hammer blows are terrific and the final plunge into nonentity is very well treated with proper weight (not like Jansons/RCO recording).

John,

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 06:15:24 AM »
"the final plunge into nonentity is very well treated with proper weight (not like Jansons/RCO recording)"

You're right on that particular point. 

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 07:12:55 AM »
I agree with everything John has said about this fine M6...after my third hearing I realized I have been looking for this kind of M6 for a long time.   The tempo is not rushed, the tempo relationships are ideal and the interpretation is straight without the 'tragic' overtones.   The image that comes to mind is that of a faded painting (of a long forgotten battle) on an old, dusty and cracked Grecian Urn...an object that doesn't give away all its "secrets" on first discovery, much like this performance.

John mentioned the Alma passage, and how it was done very well, slightly slowed down...to me this is a highlight to savor (the strings nail it with great beauty), and so is the long pastoral interlude in the development of the 1st movement, which somehow foreshadows the andante and finale.  I also like the wonderful sound of this recording, I can hear the tuba quite often and the bassoons too.

I also want to return to this recording often...the performance doesn't suggest an obvious interpretation and I get something new each time I hear it.   

--Leo 

« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 07:15:54 AM by Leo K »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 09:46:13 PM »
Clocking at 24'50" the fist movt. strikes as the best combination of structural control, judicious tempos, excellent playing, and solid conducting in every department. Listen how the low brass roar like lions in several important passage. In fact, the recording is probably the best ever given to this symphony; the bass lines including low brass, especially tuba are awesome and yet there is no lack of details in the high end. Never before I have heard such details in the low bass! This Mahler Sixth is not as hot as Lenny or even Levi but it has just enough characters that keep one's attention throughout. In the Scherzo (which comes after I.) Sieghart also wisely slows down at the beginning of the trio section, providing a wonderful contrast to what has gone before it. Once again, one can hear the low brass and woodwinds very clearly in this recording whether they roar or softly underly the rest of the orchestra.

An absolute winner in all aspects.

John,

Offline Psanquin

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 07:49:59 AM »
Nice to read so favorable comments on this Suxth from an unfammiliar conductor and orchestra. I'll get a copy!

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 09:56:00 PM »
The Sieghart M6 only gets better with every listen.  I finally got to listen to the SACD layer for the whole performance and noticed an obvious improvement in the sound, which is still very fine on the CD layer, but a little dry.  Indeed, the SACD layer sounds so good (especially in the dynamic contrast and clarity of detail in the lower brass and percussion) the interpretation fares much better, and can be better appreciated along with the details heard in the orchestration. 

I listened to the Sieghart back to back with the Eschenbach Philly M6 a couple times to compare, as both are my current top commercial recordings of the M6.  In both, the lower brass and percussion are captured magnificently, thereby improving my appreciation of the dark timbre mixtures Mahler wrote into the score.  I listened to both disks on the two channel stereo SACD layer through my Grato SR80 headphones and was in Mahler M6 heaven for hours.

The Siegart M6 is an incredible experience on SACD.  This recording was taken from performances given on the 21-23 of December, 2003 at the Concertgebouw De Vereeniging in Nijmegen (the oldest city in the Netherlands). The natural detail, atmosphere and clarity are such a joy…it must be a good hall.  I found myself holding my breath often, taken in by the waves of orchestration.  Like the Eschenbach account, the tempos are heavy and movement thoughout the score is rugged, and seem to carry the weight of the world.  Unlike Eschenbach, there are no obvious “dramatic” indulgences such as overemphasizing passages for effect, ala Bernstein or MTT.  The Sieghart earns its power through the constant hypnotic building by playing the score straightforward…the one indulgence are the expansive tempos, yet the discourse is appealing and the awesome lower brass and percussion (not to mention the wonderful string playing), the performance never drags.  The higher timbre of the flutes and other woodwinds are captured well on the wonderful high-ends of the sound picture (and doesn't tax the ear). 

When I want a more exaggerated reading I will turn to the Eschenbach without hesitation.  I didn’t much care for Eschenbach’s account on the first few listens, but the memory of the unique phrasing and tempo relationships stayed on my mind and grew on me, and on first hearing the SACD layer I got hooked.  As fine as it is, the SACD layer of the Eschenbach is not as great as the Sieghart, but the interpretation is first rate, full of great ideas in shaping and dynamics.  A favorite moment (in the Eschenbach) is the transition chorale between the march and Alma’s theme in the exposition of the first movement…it really works to slow this passage down and make much of the rather objective reflection here in the midst of the ongoing march.  The tempo relationships in the Sieghart are more subtle.  A highlight of Sieghart’s first movement is the execution of the Alma theme in both the exposition and the recapitulation…the tempo isn’t rushed but carefully sculpted, and the strings and horns are clearly heard within all the richness the score has to offer.  The Arnhem strings easily hold their own when compared to the Philly strings, or any orchestra for that matter…they really rise to the occasion.  The horns and trumpets exhibit resonating warmth and bite, whatever is needed they are there, ready to deliver...especially hear the fine blasts that punctuate the rhythm during the development of the 1st movement.  The pluck of bass string and growling low brass that sets off the finale is menacing and rises like the lip of a dog bearing his teeth...Bravo!

I could go on and on, but I’ll probably keep repeating myself!

--Leo   
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 10:23:21 PM by Leo K »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 01:43:02 AM »
Thanks, Leo.

I also think very high of this recording, although I still need to check the SACD layer myself.

What make this M6th so appealing is that it has none of interpretive "quirks" that set such recordings as Sinopoli (bad), Tennstedt (good), Lenny (good) apart from the rest and it make such an enjoyable listening experience. That's why I come to this recording again and again and I never get tired of listening to it.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk