Author Topic: Schwarz/RLPO/Artek M6th - the first impression  (Read 11305 times)

Offline John Kim

Schwarz/RLPO/Artek M6th - the first impression
« on: April 02, 2009, 05:52:40 AM »
I bought the Schwarz M6th tonight. So far, I quite like it. It may not be as powerful as I recall from the Seattle concert I attended in early 2000's, but it has all the traits from that concert - judicious, subtle tempo and dynamic shifts in the opening movt., flexible but very expressive scherzo (perhaps one of the best scherzo movts ever), the lyrical andante that ends in a whirlwind climax, and the exciting, ferocious finale where the virtuosity of this orchestra really shines. I bet Schwarz's Finale will garner much praise from you  :D. This Mahler Sixth may sound somewhat ordinary on the first hearing but anybody with a close attention will soon recognize all the strengths. Granted, the RLPO may not be VPO or BPO but they play with guts and a total dedication. The sound, although somewhat dry, is natural and excellent.

A hearty recommendation to all who love this fabulous symphony. I am sure it will grow more on repeated hearings.

John,

P.S. The Andante precedes the Scherzo in this recording. Strangely, the liner note describes the music in the S/A order. I bet the concert was actually recorded in the S/A order.

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Re: Schwarz/RLPO/Artek M6th - the first impression
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 06:40:26 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts John!  Looking forward to hearing this myself!  I bet you correct about the original order of the movements.  So, the sound quality compares well with the Schwarz M7 I hope?

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:47:46 PM »
Todd,

I must say the sonics here are even better than the 7th; it's slightly more distanced but better balanced. Actually, listening on my headphones I don't find it dry at all. Still, the best sound quality they came up with in this Mahler cycle was for the 1st and 4th which they recorded in a studio.

Timings are,

I. 21'54"
II. 15'36"
III. 13'00"
IV. 28'06"

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 04:51:27 PM »
On my second hearing, I like it even better!

The Finale is really terrific, with lots of expressive touches such as sharp and strong string attacks in the beginning passage (which reappears later) and woodwinds that are always in the fore. The fast tempo doesn't diminish the weight and impact at all. It's a bit like Solti's Chicago recording but Schwarz has a far better feel for the structure and his willingness to be flexible in tempo and dynamics makes it sound less rigid and more diversified than the Solti. The 3 (yes, THREE!) hammer blows are about average but the orchestra plays really really well, particularly in the development section and thereafter. I was totally wiped out at the end. So, both the Scherzo and Finale are in top form but the opening and Andate movts are also very well done.

You know, if I am pressed I will happily take the Schwarz over the Fischer (although the sound is better in the latter recording).  :P.

John,
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 05:01:09 PM by John Kim »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 05:18:08 PM »
A really terrific Mahler Sixth, in case the message was not clear  8)

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 09:32:58 AM »
Thanks again John for the reports...mine should come in the mail very soon.

--Todd

Offline brunumb

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 10:44:51 PM »
Could we please have some negative reviews for a while so that I know there are some new recordings that I DON't have to buy   :D

But thanks anyway  :-*

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 11:52:39 PM »
Could we please have some negative reviews for a while so that I know there are some new recordings that I DON't have to buy   :D

But thanks anyway  :-*
I have always a soft spot for Gerard Schwarz's Mahler because I have attended most of his Mahler concerts and quite liked them all. I think listening to his M1, M4, M6, and M7 and  to a lesser degree, M9 recordings is pretty close to my concert experiences.

Sorry, but it could be just me  :-\

John,

Offline brunumb

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 01:54:50 AM »
Now you've done it !

::) OK, which Schwarz recording do you think would be the best to sample first ?

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 01:04:52 PM »
Now you've done it !

::) OK, which Schwarz recording do you think would be the best to sample first ?

Well...I would say the M7...but it sounds like this M6 could be the way to go too...I will hear soon!

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 03:06:11 PM »
Start with the M4th CD which was released on RLPO's own label. Being a studio recording it has the best sound quality, bright, well focused with deep and wide sound stage. As expected, Schwarz's reading strikes a middle-of-the-road approach but once again it is loaded with plenty of details and sensitive tempos and dynamics. The only downside (which is not a big deal in this case) is that the soloist sounds a bit strained and nervous in the Finale. Schwarz's M7th is another highlight in the series. You can find very positive reviews from Barry, myself, and others here on the board. I heard even Dave Hurwitz likes it very much (but his review never showed up on classics.com). The M1st is also first rate, albeit it is on a fast side lasting less than 52 min.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 10:03:19 AM »
I have listened though this now a couple of times, and I must say I am very satisfied on a whole, and I have a feeling this recording will grow with more listens, kinda like Zinman, it takes more listens for the peformance to reveal its secrets.  The sound quality is as John described, just as good his M7 (but slightly more distanced).  The lower brass is captured very well, and is one the reasons I like to return to this recording.

The interpretation is straightforward, but this works for the "rustic" details that are all over this performance, the instrumental color is very clear.  I used the word "rustic" to suggest the rough and tumble quality I am hearing.  The orchestra is obviously not VPO, or BPO, but the dedication and execution are "good enough" (as Barry said of Schwarz's M7 with the same orchestra).  The orchestra's playing is what draws into this recording the most...the character of the whole is very engaging.

Schwartz shoots straight though many sections without hesitation or romantic idleness, but there are subtle tempo shifts that really highlight important passages, or shape the musical line in a wonderful illuminating fullness.  This quality is heard in a ravising way in the andante. but again, the tempo shifts are subtle, so very easy to miss.  Thanks to the cowbells and strings, the climax of this movement becomes the highlight of the whole performance...probably among the best cowbell sounds of any M6 I've yet heard.  I have to mention again the wonderful presence of the lower brass, woodwind and strings (much like Zinman here).

All in all, Zinman is still my top choice for modern recordings, but this Schwarz is a great alternative, since it is a faster M6 than Zinman, and Schwarz has some wonderful ideas in terms of tempo...although his is a faster straightforward interpretation, there is a sense of wieght and drama...doesn't sound light at all.

Of what I've heard so far, I really like Schwarz's Mahler cycle, none are first choices, but the details in each performance make them very recommendable...the only drawback being his M9 unfortunately.

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 04:27:32 PM »
Todd,

Thanks for your report and positive feedbacks.

Did you listen to Scherzo and Finale? How did you like them? This Scherzo is one of the very best along with Rattle, Zinman, Bernstein, and Levi. And the finale really rocks in Schwarz's hands. As you said, it's a straightforward reading but there are just enough subtlety and nice shifts & touches that make it a really enjoyable M6th.

Best,

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 09:05:54 PM »
Todd,

Thanks for your report and positive feedbacks.

Did you listen to Scherzo and Finale? How did you like them? This Scherzo is one of the very best along with Rattle, Zinman, Bernstein, and Levi. And the finale really rocks in Schwarz's hands. As you said, it's a straightforward reading but there are just enough subtlety and nice shifts & touches that make it a really enjoyable M6th.

Best,

John,

John, yes, I've heard the whole Schwarz M6 about three times at this point.  I really did like the scherzo and finale...but my favorites are the 1st movement and andante! 

--Todd

Offline John Kim

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 06:55:54 AM »
Uhmmm... I thought III. and IV. were more interesting ???

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk