General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

M6/Gielen/Salzburg 2013

<< < (5/6) > >>

erikwilson7:
I STILL haven’t heard any of Boulez’s live Mahler, but I hear it’s usually better than the studio ones (which are already mostly good). I want to watch that lauded M2.

barryguerrero:
His earlier BBC Mahler recordings all got issued on expensive Italian 'pirates'. The sound wasn't great on any of them. The M8 was pretty cool and I think it was recorded in Royal Albert Hall (huge organ on the recording). However, the tenor was in bad voice, and his voice actually gives out on one of his big Part II solos! There were two different M9's. One of those M9's had a Gilulini like, 32 minute first movement that worked quite well. No M3, M4 or M7. I remember the M5 being really good. The N.Y. Phil. Mahler box has a Boulez M3, but I think those have all dried up - hard to find now. Frankly, it wasn't as good as the Vienna one.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

The DVD of M2 is good, but certainly no better than the Chailly/Leipzig one, or the A. Nelsons/V.P.O./Salzburg Festival one. I have all three of those.

erikwilson7:
The Chailly / Leipzig M2 is my favorite recording of the work. If it were issued to audio it would easily replace his RCO account for me.

I’ve been on a Chailly Mahler kick lately and I’m still holding out for an eventual Das Lied. Its just gotta happen! How could he record every single other work by Mahler and not that one? It will probably be with Lucerne if it ever happens since Chailly is “retired.”

barryguerrero:
It's strange that Decca didn't issue a Chailly "DLvdE". He did perform it - Jard van Ness was the mezzo. They took it on tour and I saw it in S.F. The performance was fantastic, but it came at a time when I was greatly distracted by an incident that had recently happened. I do have a pirate of Chailly doing it with van Ness. Here's the funny thing: Jard van Ness was performing on Van Ness St. - the street that Davies Hall is on.

The Chailly/Amsterdam/Decca cycle is really very good. Like any cycle, some are better than others. I like the M1, M4, M5, M6 and M9 quite a bit. M3 is pretty darn good to. They're all at least good - none are bad. The M2 might be the weakest (but not so with the Leipzig one!).

erikwilson7:
As far as full cycles go, Chailly's has got to be one of the most consistent along with Bertini and de Waart. You're right, the M2 is not great, but it's at least still good. The M7 is weird, but I admire it. The M3, M4, M5, M6, M8, M9, and M10 are among my favorite recordings of those works.

Strangely, it seems no one really talks about the Chailly Decca cycle anymore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version