Author Topic: Bertini/TMSO/Fontec M9  (Read 5658 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Bertini/TMSO/Fontec M9
« on: May 29, 2007, 07:30:55 AM »

I am simply amazed by this Bertini M9.  I read Barry mention (on the old board) that this is like a Bernstein/Karajan hybrid, and that describes this performance really well.   This is my first Bertini recording, and frankly I'm stunned by his interpetation and the successful execution from this amazing orchestra.  It seems Bertini executes all my favorite passages in a way I always secretly wished, but even more profoundly then I could imagine!!  The first big crescendo near the beginning of the Andante Comodo is an example...it rises and rises, sharp and intense with great impact...wow...thats the way I always wanted to hear that passage (Bernstein's BSO M9 comes close).  All the climaxes are shattering with the low brass powerful and easily heard.  The scherzo soars with powerful pastorale winds, rustic landscapes and dances with captivating strides.  The Rondo has great energy, color and contrast, its twists and turns are very uplifting and exciting.  The excellant sound catches every line of the Rondo as the music breathes and rotates.  The Adagio is on the level of Bernstein's BSO account, and a beatitude occurs in this performance...an ultimate surrender taken with peace and bliss.   

This definitely sits among my favorite Mahler recordings ever.

--Leo

Offline Jeff Wozniak

Re: Bertini/TMSO/Fontec M9
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 02:12:51 PM »
Sounds like a great recording.  Where can I pick up a copy?  I take it I'll have to look for it on a European website.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 03:32:02 PM »
I'd agree with Leo's general assessment, although I was slightly let down by the playing of TMSO; it's not as secure as say, Bertini's own German orchestra who recorded the work for EMI previously. I really LOVE the jacket - it's the best that contains the conductor's nice front view.

John,

Offline nickmolland

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 04:37:36 PM »
Jeff asked
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like a great recording.  Where can I pick up a copy?  I take it I'll have to look for it on a European website.

I just got mine (haven't heard it yet) from Amazon.co.jp

Nick

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 05:00:01 PM »
Jeff, you can also order this from HMV (in Japan):

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/1429301

--Leo

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 06:27:48 PM »
I'd agree with Leo's general assessment, although I was slightly let down by the playing of TMSO; it's not as secure as say, Bertini's own German orchestra who recorded the work for EMI previously. I really LOVE the jacket - it's the best that contains the conductor's nice front view.

John,

I haven't yet heard Bertini's EMI M9, which I've heard is good too.  Although the TMSO may not be as tight as the European counterparts, they don't sound hesitant, but play with great feeling and passion.  I was carried away.

--Leo

Offline Jeff Wozniak

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 08:45:38 PM »
Cool.  Thanks guys. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk