Author Topic: More on marching Mahler  (Read 12303 times)

Ivor

Re: More on marching Mahler
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 08:07:08 PM »
I'm sure a reason for all this marching is the obvious one that Mahler grew up within earshot of a barracks, and all the consequent march music he'd had heard from the start.

Interesting, too, that someone isn't too keen on M6 cos "there's too much marching."

Insofar as existentialism is tied to questions of existence and the here-and-now (where existence just is), I'd take mahler to be very existential, partly because hasn't he spoken about much of his music in terms of existence, and partly because he was a Cancerian.)

I say the last a) despite having a philosophy degree, b) cos I'm Cancerian.

Speaking from the inside, cancerians are moody, touchy, sensitive etc. exactly because they are (naturally' (?) attuned to moment-to-moment reality, consciously or unconsciously. Partly. And they are quite likely to respond, even react, to everything they experience, often immediately. Thus, some of M.'s tantrums, etc.

(Hence also Mahler's openness to 'the mood of the moment' in performance, and to performers after his time responding to the acoustics they find themselves in.)

Another counterposing to existentialism (apart from essence), is knowledge. Whereas in Anglo-Saxon philosophy a theory of knowledge is a basic starting-point,  Continental philosophy is often more interested in the nature of existence.

Incidentally, Alma was a Virgo (born 31.8.1879). She had a Leonine mode of expression.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 05:43:19 AM »
Thanks for the correction. But it's interesting to note that a number of very artistic, very musical people are born around that Leo/Virgo cusp. Bernstein is just one of them. They seem to have the fire and drama of a Leo, combined with the more direct communicative qualities (blunt, shall we say?) - as well as plain, old earthiness - of a Virgo. I know somebody else - a person who you ALL know - who was also born around that same cusp. I won't mention who.

B.

Ivor

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 06:37:22 AM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-ha.

And,of course, there are composers of every sign.

Now go to bed, Barry, it's late !!    ;)

Offline bluesbreaker

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 03:06:17 AM »

And,of course, there are composers of every sign.

Yep, but I think Aquarious is the most musical sign. I was born under Aquarious. ;)
Under The Dark Side Of The Glass Moon

Ivor

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 05:47:06 AM »
After the assertion, can we now expect the evidence ?     :-\

Ivor

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2007, 10:48:55 AM »
Ivor, what a humourless post !      :-[

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 10:11:47 PM »
This is a very interesting thread that I had not attended to, thinking that Marching Mahler wouldn't  go anywhere.

Wrong, again. There have been some probative offerings, quite stimulating--still so, even long after their postings.

But, to join the levity at the end, let me suggest that Mahler was fascinated with march music as a corrective to his own irregular gait.

Hmmmm.

. & '

Ivor

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 10:19:28 PM »
                 LOL

Ivor

Ivor

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 10:20:57 PM »
   Aaaaaaaand a moral in there about thinking one knows what a threa is about without reading it.

Ivor

Offline Jot N. Tittle

• Meine Zeit wird noch kommen.
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 10:33:05 PM »
Touché, Ivor.

. & '

Ivor

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 04:06:32 PM »
  Actually, Jot, that's an interesting theory. One to mentally conjure with. And who knows.

Ivor

PS. Danke schon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk