Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 5711 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 09:22:33 AM »
Looks like an "April Fools" joke, doesn't it?   ???  Whatever it is, they dragged Sinopoli's name into it.

Offline Fafner

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 10:03:05 AM »
Looks like an "April Fools" joke, doesn't it?   ???  Whatever it is, they dragged Sinopoli's name into it.

Sinopoli was clearly against every attempt to complete, let alone recompose Mahler's Tenth and it made that clear on several interviews. Quite sure it's a joke...

Offline chris

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 03:13:50 PM »

Offline GL

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 05:47:13 PM »

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 06:04:24 AM »
Here's a link to a YouTube video related to this topic, in which Matthew Herbert attempts to explain his Symphony X project:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnvaFOxkVzs

Having viewed it, I'm not sure I understand much more than before about his motives. Apparently the late Giuseppe Sinopoli figures in because Mr. Herbert used Sinopoli's recording of the 10/i Adagio as the raw material for this absurd undertaking (pardon the pun).

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 06:21:57 AM »
Yikes, that may be THE SLOWEST version of M10/I ever. Isn't it something like 32 minutes?

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 06:49:43 AM »
Yikes, that may be THE SLOWEST version of M10/I ever. Isn't it something like 32 minutes?

Yes, it's 32:47.

I suspect the whole thing is a put-on. Given the project described in the video, it's hard to imagine DG having any interest at all, or Dr. Sinopoli's estate granting permission—if permission was required. I smell Dada. (Has a neo-Dada movement emerged?)

James

Offline BeethovensQuill

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 07:39:30 PM »
This made me laugh or something, maybe if he'd actually got a coffin to record it in, it would have had a resonance instead of a cardbox or something, the bit where he said "in Mahler's time if he wanted to write about loniless he'd maybe write a melody like that, whereas now if we want to record or write about loniless we can write a melody like that and take it to the top of a very high mountain or something.  The bit just before that when he said when Mahler wants to write about bird song its the flute and pretended to play a flute, and told us correctly that indeed that was a simulation whereas now and for my generation the possibilities in the 20th century, you take a microphone and you record the birdsong, that was funny. 

This guy is hysterical or something, surely its a wind up or something.  ;D

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
...maybe if he'd actually got a coffin to record it in, it would have had a resonance instead of a cardbox or something...

I believe the cardboard box in the video is a container used to house the body during cremation. Why Herbert would use that rather than a real coffin is just one of the many mysteries surrounding this project. Perhaps that was all his budget would allow. After all, real coffins ain't cheap, though I suppose he could have rented one.

James

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk