General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Ozawa M7 with Boston...blew me away.

(1/2) > >>

Leo K:

I found this used last week and finally got around to it last night. What can I say, I loved it.  The tenor horn was simply gorgeous...bless you Norman Bolter.   The bass trombonist of the BSO (Douglas Yeo, still there?) once said Bolter's playing "MADE" the 1st movement, and "Norman's energy actually drove Seiji"---

I remembered this quote when I found this set at the used store, and man, I'm glad I took a chance with it.  The Finale is well played too. 

Sorry I couldn't give a more detailed review here...(but I'm at work).

barry guerrero:
The Mahler 3rd with Ozawa/Norman/BSO is really terrific too - surprisingly good. Ozawa conducts the 7th very similar to how Bernstein did - even the timings are near identical. As you discovered, the BSO puts out a more beautiful sound than the N.Y. Phil., who obviously play Mahler in a highly idiomatic fashion. My only minor complain with the Ozawa, is that there simply isn't enough of the cowbells and deep bells at the finale's final peroration. In other words, the very end. But I also agree that the "Kindertotenlieder" is an excellent performance. In fact, I really feel that the entire Ozawa cycle is better than most people suspect or realize. I very much like his Saito Kinen Orchestra remake of the "Resurrection", as well as his earlier DG recording of the first symphony, which includes "Blumine" in its original second movement position.

Barry

sperlsco:

--- Quote from: barry guerrero on January 05, 2007, 08:22:00 AM ---My only minor complain with the Ozawa, is that there simply isn't enough of the cowbells and deep bells at the finale's final peroration. Barry

--- End quote ---

It's funny, that was my exact thought when I read the thread title.  And since you also mention his M3, I can sum up both of them by saying that they are excellent performances, marred by a problem at the symphonies' end.  In the case of the M3, Ozawa hits the accelerator at the very end of the symphony (ala Barbirroli, Rattle).  It detracts from my overall enjoyment, but it is still a superb M3 (and M7).  In fact, the whole cycle is quite worthwhile, if not quite a top pick. 

I also put his SKO M9 as a first tier favorite.  I may prefer the sound of the BSO over the SKO, but find Ozawa's interpretation better with the SKO (especially the bite of the R-B). 

Leo K:
Yeah, I hear ya regarding the bells...it's the only complaint I have...the rest is so good though it's not a problem.  And ditto regarding the Kindentotenlieder performance...I actually had tears afterwards.  Powerful stuff, and bravo Jesse!

Thanks for the heads up regarding Ozawa's M3.  Know I'll know to try the rest of his cycle.

I should note I also recently got his M2 with Boston, but I haven't heard it yet.

barry guerrero:
The Boston M2 is pretty good - better than the tepid press it received. I have only one major complaint, and you'll stumble upon it, I think.  I think the Saito Kinen one (Sony) is a bit better.

Barry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version