General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

BIS will box up Vanska/Minnesota M-cycle in 2024

<< < (2/2)

Leo K:
Over the years Boulez’s cycle has grown on me, especially his M3, M4, DLvDE and M6. But I’m really happy Vanska’s cycle will come out as a box. So far I vastly prefer it to Boulez.

John Kim:
I heard Vanska's M3rd and M8th on archives and they are really good as good as any he has done so far in the cycle.

For me the standouts so far are M2, M5, M6 (I.-III.), M7, M10 (the best in the series), and M9. Well, that's almost  all of them except for the 1st & 4th. :-)

John

barryguerrero:
John, what is an "Archives"? Do you have to have a subcription?   .    .   .   and when you say Vanska's M8 and M3 are there, you mean the actual BIS mix-downs, or something straight from the concerts?

John Kim:
Barry,

If you recall the Minnesota Orchestra website had videos of these concerts available on their site for some time. That's when and how I heard the performances.

John

barryguerrero:
OK, understood. I was just thrown by the word "archives", as that's also the name of a prominent classical music review and e-tailer site (Archive Music). I don't remember seeing/hearing the entire M3, but perhaps I had.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version