Author Topic: The Richard Strauss Thread  (Read 8897 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: The Richard Strauss Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 03:26:45 AM »
"Could you be specific about what's bothering you in Thielemann's Strauss recordings - Alpine Symphony & Ein Hedeleben with VPO?"

Sure: they suck. There are LOTS of better recordings of both works, even with the V.P.O.. With the VPO, I feel that both the Previn and Ozawa "Alpine" symphonies are far better than the Thielemann. Solti made a great albeit fast "Heldenleben" with the V.P.O., recorded in the generous acoustics of the Sofiensaal in the late '70s. For one thing, the Thielmann recordings don't even sound particularly good.

Offline waderice

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 02:09:51 PM »
I forgot to mention earlier that Strauss himself recorded his own music rather prolifically.  As far as I know, he didn't record any during the acoustic era, but what I have in my own collection are electrical recordings.  These range from ones he made in the 1930's to the 1941 Eine Alpensinfonie, and his 1944 Magnetophon (an early tape recording system) recordings he made with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.  And I believe that the last recording he made was one of Elektra made while on a trip to London in 1947, two years before he died.  Many of his recordings of his own works have been reissued on CD, and are well worth hearing.

As far as a conductor in general, George Szell put it best whenever Strauss was on the podium.  Other than being a master of conducting economy, there was "the disinterested Strauss" and "the Strauss that cared".  The "disinterested Strauss" would plod along, pull out his watch, look at the time, and if things were falling behind, he would pick up the tempo".  There is a DVD that has a film of Strauss conducting Till Eulenspiegel in "The Art of Conducting - Legendary Conductors of a Golden Era".  In addition to seeing Strauss conduct, it also has the interview with George Szell talking about "the disinterested Strauss".

Wade
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:31:49 PM by waderice »

Offline Damfino

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 02:42:01 PM »
I'm not a huge Strauss fan either. don't care for "Also Sprach" aside from the 2001 opening minute and a half.

However, I quite like Rosenkavalier. My wife and I saw a great production in Houston years ago with Renee Fleming, Suzannne Mentser and Dawn Upshaw; conducted by Eschenbach. I also like the DVD with Kiri te Kanawa as the Marchallin, conducted by Solti.

I also like the tone poems Don Juan and Til Eulenspiegel and I fairly enjoy the Alpine symphony (I think my version is by Previn). That's about all I care for from RS.

john haueisen

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 03:31:38 PM »
I've always enjoyed Strauss for one of the reasons that others dislike him:  his ability with "program music."  
He could capture and portray sound images of visual scenes.  Of course, a fine example of this is the Alpine Symphony, in which he takes us along on a climb up the Alps.  We hear streams, storms, a blazing sunrise in which you can almost feel the radiant warmth.

In a similar fashion, Mahler captured feelings.  Consider the nostalgia of the Posthorn Serenade from M3 or the yearning in M5's Adagietto.  That's why I always mention Mahler's almost shock at what inspired Strauss--when Strauss would reply to the effect that he didn't need inspiration;  he was just very good at writing music.  Where Mahler was trying to come to terms with the meaning of life and death, Strauss at least claimed that he simply set out to write a piece of music.

I share Mahler's disbelief when I hear some of the exquisite themes in Strauss' Ariadne auf Naxos, for example.  The simple chorus "Tone, Tone, Susse Stimmen"  (Sounds, sweet voices) intoned by the Ariadne Muses sounds like Strauss joining with Mahler in an admiration of how musical sounds and words can bewitch us, as Strauss puts it.  But of course that is just me--it's all subjective.  They're just musical notes.  (That's what Strauss and I tell ourselves.)

Der Rosenkavalier also has some deliciously "dripping with syrup" themes and others that are ethereal.  In the "presentation of the rose" scene, the singers describe it as beauty "almost too strong to be endured."

If you can't imagine enjoying opera, I still hope someday you might give it a chance.  Mahler earned his living doing a better job of conducting opera than anyone previously.  He strove to bring out the best of what he thought the composer intended, and I think he may have even improved on what they had done.  
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:35:37 PM by john haueisen »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk