Author Topic: classictoday gives a lukewarm rating for Rattle/BPO/EMI M2nd  (Read 11591 times)

Offline John Kim

classictoday gives a lukewarm rating for Rattle/BPO/EMI M2nd
« on: January 03, 2011, 06:21:35 PM »
GUSTAV MAHLER
Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection"
Kate Royal (soprano); Magdalena Kožená (mezzo-soprano)

Rundfunkchor Berlin
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra

Simon Rattle

EMI- (Download)
Reference Recording - Bernstein (DG, Sony); Gielen (Hänssler); Slatkin (Telarc)

rating 6/8

It might have been something special to hear Karajan's Berlin Philharmonic play Mahler's Resurrection symphony (it recorded a spectacular Ninth with him in 1982), but this is a completely different ensemble we have before us today. Precious little of its distinguishing sonic character remains, leaving it sounding like a highly virtuosic pick-up orchestra. This of course runs ruin over Mahler's idiosyncratic, timbrally rich, highly colorful music, especially in the scherzo third movement, with its folk atmosphere and brilliant woodwind writing.

That said, the main responsibility for the performance falls at the feet of Simon Rattle, who starts with a faceless first movement that attempts to emulate Bernstein's broad tempos, but without his intensity. So the result is just slow. Even when Rattle does tighten the screws, he gets thrown under the bus by the Berliners' aversion to percussion (one of the few remaining characteristics from the orchestra's "good old days"). This really kills the drama at the start of the fifth movement--what should be a terrifying crash sounds more like someone attacking the tam-tam with a wet sponge.

Later we must endure a lifeless "march of the dead" (there's irony for you), but at least the closing pages have sufficient energy and atmosphere, even a little feeling of transcendence, thanks in part to the fine-sounding chorus (soloists Kate Royal and Magdalena Kožená also offer respectable performances). However, when it's all over you merely feel satisfied rather than blown away by the experience as you do with Bernstein, Tennstedt, Gielen, and Slatkin, to name a few.

The recorded sound is generally very good, but, like most Berlin Philharmonic recordings, it's weak in the bottom range. Perhaps in order to capitalize on the currency of the live performances taking place at the end of October 2010, EMI has issued this recording as download-only until February 2011, when the CD version will be available. This is perfect for people prone to impulse-buying, but now that iTunes provides 90-second previews they'll have a chance to ponder before they purchase. The recommended recordings offer longer-term gratification.

--Victor Carr Jr

Offline John Kim

Re: classictoday gives a lukewarm rating for Rattle/BPO/EMI M2nd
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:48:29 PM »
I will soon have a chance to hear the recording. Will post my own impression then.

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:50:02 PM »
I am glad that Victor mentions Slatkin's recording. I assume he meant the SACD version (Telarc's redbook CD had a horrible sound).

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 12:34:04 AM »
Of course I must disagree with Mr. Carr in his review. This M2 is very colorful, much more than Abbado's Mahler with the BPO at least.

Carr mentions that there is no tension in the first movement. Tension is hard to defend. Rattle's tempos are broad, but not as much as Bernstein's account on DG. Rattle plays the first movement similar to his classic Birmingham account. It's difficult to argue with perception, but in my view, the first movement erupts over the twists and turns of the score, with ragged daring. The BPO sound electric, as well as virtuosic. I am on the edge of my seat when I hear this first movement.

The bottom range is very well captured, indeed, the sound of the bottom range is what captured my attention when I first heard this recording. The percussion is powerful. The tamtams, in the first movement climaxes, add a pervading sense of dread, with their dark tonal quality. The percussion crescendo in the finale is terrifying and even a bit over the top!

And the Urlicht...wow, what a moment of still beauty, and wonder. Magdalena Kožená's voice in Urlicht is possibly the best I've experienced. The tone of her singing is pure and not forced, or over done.

I'm surprised Carr didn't talk much about the amazing Scherzo, the contrasts are pronounced, but perhaps more convincing than MTT's mannerisms in this movement. The woodwinds are well recorded here. Their rustic tones are surrounded with air, and ring true in the overall sonic picture. The EQ and mastering doesn't hurt the ear at all. Everything sounds natural. The climax of the Scherzo explodes. The electric playing of the BPO have to be heard to be believed.

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 01:40:55 AM »
.   .    .    which probably means that my reaction will fall somewhere right in the middle.   ;)

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 05:14:29 AM »
I've listened to this one twice. I must say, it's every bit as eccentric and characteristic of Rattle as the CBSO version was. I need to give another spin or two before I make my final verdict. But so far, like Barry said, I take a position in the middle. It's well played and recorded with lots of bass and prominence to percussion and low brass. And that's very unusual about Berlin Phil. captured by EMI engineers. So, my kudos for the engineering. Interpretively, all the Rattle trademarks are here. He takes even more liberty with tempo, dynamics, and local balances than he did before. I cannot say I like them all; some work, some don't. But overall, I am more positive than Mr. Carr and tentatively would give 8/9 for my rating.

John,

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 05:54:13 PM »
I need you 'down the middle' guys to keep me in check  ;D

I'm glad you rather like the Rattle John. It's a good version for us who like our Mahler shaken, not stirred!

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 08:28:57 PM »
I finally bought the 2 discs set today.

Here is my verdict:

IMO, this is a great performance by any standard, easily on the par with Rattle's previous rendition with CBSO.

I like everything Rattle does in his interpretation however 'liberal' and 'intervening' it might be and I think they all work more or less.

UNFORTUNATELY, the recording is seriously downgraded by EMI's poor sonics; it is coarse, its dynamic range is compressed with loud passages sounding congested and lacking any details. Just go to the very last track on disc two and listen and you'll see what I mean.

(It's possible that for this production they simply transferred the audio tracks from the TV broadcasting.)

This may be the worst sounding Rattle-BPO-EMI-Mahler recording so far.

I'll keep the discs for Rattle's excellent reading and leadership, but the EMI engineers get my two big thumbs down.

My overall rating: 10/6

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 08:45:39 PM »
Again, as a PERFORMANCE I really LOVE IT! :D

Shame on EMI!! >:(

Give use DVD-A or SACD of it!! >:( :-*

John,

Offline John Kim

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 04:37:54 PM »
UNFORTUNATELY, the recording is seriously downgraded by EMI's poor sonics; it is coarse, its dynamic range is compressed with loud passages sounding congested and lacking any details. Just go to the very last track on disc two and listen and you'll see what I mean.

(It's possible that for this production they simply transferred the audio tracks from the TV broadcasting.)

Is this just me not happy with the sonics? Could it be my equipment??

Has anybody found the same issue?

John,

Offline Russell

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 04:44:25 PM »
I heard this recording over the weekend and also liked it.  I think it's a lot better than his CBSO performance and it's certainly the best of the more recent performances I've heard (a LOT better than Jansons and Nott, for example).  Yes, the first movement is slow, but at least there's character and an intensity that hold my interest.  I much prefer the sound of the chorus here over the CBSO recording, though I find the soloists in the new recording pretty marginal.  (Am I alone in thinking that Kate Royal always seems to have pitch problems?  And Kozena -- Mrs. Rattle -- isn't much better.)  I also think the sound quality is very good (I don't find it coarse or compressed), with very sufficient bottom end at the end.

Russell

Offline Russell

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 04:55:08 PM »

Is this just me not happy with the sonics? Could it be my equipment??

Has anybody found the same issue?

John,

I honestly don't think it sounds as bad as you describe, John.  I should say, however, that I listened to the recording in a different manner than I usually do for CDs: I made a careful rip of it to my laptoo and listened via an external DAC.  (I'm very much into computer audio these days.)  I've found that the sound of ripped CDs (and especially hi-res music files) via my laptop is much more satisfying than via my CD/SACD player--much smoother, more dimensional, more dynamic.

Russell

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 07:19:54 PM »
John, I find the sonics to be the best I've heard for Rattle's Mahler on EMI.

This M2 is now one of my favorites, if not my no.1 right now  :D

--Todd

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 12:14:56 AM »
I gave it 4 starts at Amazon.com

different but not better than Rattle's CBSO M2 from the '80s, March 11, 2011
By
B. Guerrero "Mahler nutcase" - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)   
This review is from: Mahler: Symphony No. 2 in C minor 'Resurrection' (Audio CD)

You have to hand it to Simon Rattle: whenever he re-records something, it never sounds the same as his previous effort. Overall, I think that Rattle's earlier and much celebrated recording of the "Resurrection" symphony from Birmingham is actually better. For one thing, it boasts having the incomparable Janet Baker. Kozena and Royal are both decent, but don't really distinguish themselves either. Other differences await as well.

As much as I can tell, Rattle's Birmingham recording only had two minor flaws. The first of which was his repeated habit - "habit", in that he did it right after the first movement's climax as well - of dragging the tempo on the rapid ascending run in the low strings on their third entrance. This wasn't such a problem at the start of the symphony, but it had the strange effect of undermining what had just happened immediately after the first movement's climax (as previously mentioned). I'm happy to say that in spite of Rattle's often times start-and-stop quality to his phrasing, the first two movements are truly better this time around. Exaggerated, yes, but what is most impressive is his unveiling of the grinding dissonances in those chords leading into the first movement's recapitulation. When the cellos enter with their descending line (which runs somewhat counter to those dissonant chords), he makes a symphony out of each and every note leading into the full orchestra's tutti on the descending octave jump - doubled by bass drum - that marks the climax of the development section (and thus, announces the start of the recapitulation as well). It's as terrifying as it is thrilling! The other flaw was that the dubbed-in organ sounded rather artificial in his Birmingham outing (recorded before the new hall in Birmingham was constructed). I'm happy to report that the organ in Berlin's Philharmonie sounds as natural as it does powerful (especially true in the bass pipes). But from the third movement on, I'm afraid that I prefer Rattle's first recording.

In spite of capturing some of the macabre irony that's at the core of the scherzo, Rattle's Berlin recording just has too much of that stop-and-start quality that sometimes undermines his best work. Klemperer was always good with the scherzo, but listen to what a thrilling glimpse of heaven Paavo Jarvi (Virgin Classics) turns the climax of this movement into. Rattle falls just a bit short in comparison.

Vocal movement: Baker vs. Kozena? . . . Baker!

It's in the finale that I feel that Rattle's earlier effort truly trumps this one. Once again, the Berlin Phil. brass section comes up sounding a bit strained, taxed, and thin sounding while battling their way through the fifth movement's long march section (dead souls rising out of their coffins, etc.). The climax of that long march passage really misfires this time. I can't quite analyze why, but it doesn't help that the rapid gong strokes (tam-tam) don't register through the thick noise of blaring brass and alarmist triangles. It's a "close, but not quite".

It's also in the finale that some of the odd balances begin to register more clearly. Both sets of timpani often times dominate over the entire aural spectrum. And you know things aren't quite right when a suspended cymbal can drown out an entire brass section (this happens several times). The long choral passage is a tad too protracted for my liking, but there's also no denying that the Rundfunkchor Berlin do a nice job. That now leaves just the ending, which is always the main point of the entire symphony.

As previously in Birmingham - and, like Bernstein on each and every one of his outings - Rattle stretches each chord throughout the fortissimo choral passage at "aufverstehen" (rise!). In addition, we get a real solid "whap" on the Berlin Phil's big tam-tam on the last choral note. There's plenty of organ too, but the percussion polyphony at the end is problematic: we hear the high pitched tam-tam and the three deep bells (beautiful sounding bells!) quite clearly, but the low tam-tam suddenly comes close to being inaudible. This may seem like a petty and 'overly technical' point, but it undermines the very end of the symphony. You need to have the full choir of percussion because the only other thing that's happening is the sounding of the dominate and tonic chords in the brass (as well as sustained pedal from the organ and timpani).

All in all, this is still a very good representation of Mahler's monumental "Resurrection" symphony. I think we all wish that it could have been even better, and that may explain some of the exaggerated opinions in the other direction. Once again, Rattle is undermined by some strange balances in the Philharmonie, and a low brass section that can't quite pump-it-up in the thickest and most powerful passages. That's not the mention his sometimes exaggerated, stop-and-start phrasing that makes it sound as though he's trying to out-Bernstein Bernstein. But you have to hand Rattle this much credit: he believes and knows that a gratuitous speed-up is just as valid as a gratuitous ritard. in tempo. Many conductors only know how to slow down (Maazel comes to mind).

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 07:39:50 PM »
Thanks for posting your review Barry. Your thoughts are well said and to the point.

P.S.

I actually prefer Kozena to Baker.  ;D

--Todd
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:41:36 PM by Leo K »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk