Author Topic: SACD cycles: Stenz vs. Nott (?)  (Read 8661 times)

Offline John Kim

Re: SACD cycles: Stenz vs. Nott (?)
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 12:30:12 AM »
In have the Inbal/TMSO/Exton SACD (2nd cycle) M2 and M4 and have heard the rest. If nothing, the whole cycle is worth acquiring and hearing just for the heck of the gorgeous sound. It's probably the greatest Mahler recording sound Ive ever heard and that says a lot.

As for the performance, I'd rate the M2, M3, M4, M7 and M10 among the best out on the market. The rest aren't far behind but I felt the M6, M9 somewhat low-keyed. The M5th is just too fast for my liking, while the M8 is marred by Inbal's excessive groaning. Otherwise, this is a high octane M8th from start to finish.

I also have Inbal/TMSO/Exton M2nd SACD (first cycle) which is also outstanding. But I slightly prefer the refinement in both the playing & sound of the later cycle.

John

Offline John Kim

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 12:32:41 AM »
I have only M7 and M9 from the Nott cycle so this budget priced SACD box set is worth acquiring for me.

I like Nott's M9th very much but find the acoustics in I. strangely recessed with dynamic range compressed during climaxes. How do your copies sound in this regard?

John

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 02:45:41 PM »
In have the Inbal/TMSO/Exton SACD (2nd cycle) M2 and M4 and have heard the rest. If nothing, the whole cycle is worth acquiring and hearing just for the heck of the gorgeous sound. It's probably the greatest Mahler recording sound Ive ever heard and that says a lot.

As for the performance, I'd rate the M2, M3, M4, M7 and M10 among the best out on the market. The rest aren't far behind but I felt the M6, M9 somewhat low-keyed. The M5th is just too fast for my liking, while the M8 is marred by Inbal's excessive groaning. Otherwise, this is a high octane M8th from start to finish.

I also have Inbal/TMSO/Exton M2nd SACD (first cycle) which is also outstanding. But I slightly prefer the refinement in both the playing & sound of the later cycle.

John

On my system, Inbal doesn't groan, he is actually singing along with whatever he finds important. This is on EVERY disc. It much more prominent on the Tokyo Met discs, too.

Interesting that you'd find the Inbal 3rd with Tokyo not too fast. It's the fastest in the entire catalogue. To the point that I wonder if Exton was putting them under extreme time constraint because it was costing so much.

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 02:25:27 AM »
I have the Stenz box set and have now listened to all except the M10 Adagio. In general, they are strong performances, and antiphonally divided violin sections are always welcome in Mahler. It strikes me as odd, though, that at medium and higher volume levels, contrapuntal details that are audible in many other recordings, even older ones, tend to be masked. Related, and also not helpful, is that the horns tend to be watery, and I noted instances where horns and/or trumpets should punctuate the texture, yet rhythmically and harmonically they seem to be buried.

I have enjoyed this set and will continue to do so, with the above caveats. I'm curious if the same problems are present in SACD surround.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk