Author Topic: another exciting Weitblick release  (Read 4014 times)

Offline barry guerrero

another exciting Weitblick release
« on: February 22, 2014, 05:21:18 PM »
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Gustav-Mahler-Symphonie-Nr-3/hnum/4158394

This does have Waltraud Meier going for it. I haven't been that crazy about previous Weitblick releases. I do wish Profil would release more of Sinopoli's Dresden Mahler (or somebody's!)

Offline akiralx

Re: another exciting Weitblick release
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 04:45:19 AM »
Hopefully set down before Sir Roger Snorrington's vibratoless regime began...

What's Sinopoli's Philharmonia M3 like?  I rate his M7 as one of the best.

Actually by a strange coincidence I've been have a Sinopoli-fest recently, gorging on his shattering Tchaikovsky Fifth with its riproaring first movement.  The CD is not easy to find now so bought it on iTunes.

His Elgar Sym 1 is my favourite for the work (sadly the E2 is a bit of a distended disaster).

Offline barry guerrero

Re: another exciting Weitblick release
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 05:39:49 AM »
In my opinion - others may disagree - but I thought Sinopli's Philharmonia M3 was just plain lousy. The first movement clocked in at under 33 minutes, but then - like Segerstam (which is better) - Sinopoli took over 11 minutes for the second movement. Hannah Schwarz sounded awful in the vocal movement (just atrocious), followed by a percussionist striking a wrong note on the tubular chimes within the first few notes of the "bim-bam" choral movement. The last movement was fairly tidy, but the trombones - as happens in so many cases - fall down on the job at the climax of the long brass chorale before the coda. Not a great outing, so this live one is probably better.

If one wants the London Philharmonia in M3, the Ben Zander one is actually better.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:16:52 PM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk